Author Topic: 3 things  (Read 15032 times)

dennyhelper

• View Profile
3 things
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:31:55 »
      It would be cool if the press of a letter on keyboard locates a file whose name starts with that letter, instead of ending up in the input bar above. :-\

Pressing "control z" does not delete a recently copied file.

So far, I am unable to PERMANENTLY remove the "ext" column. I am content with the file name attached to the file extension. I'd appreciate it if I didn't have to right click on the title bar and untick "ext" for every new tab I open.

By the way, the windows explorer I use crashes regularly (Windows 7, home basic, 64 bit). Hence my search for more stable alternatives. I am glad I met Mc (v4.4 build 1725, 64 bit)!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: 3 things
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:51:10 »
      It would be cool if the press of a letter on keyboard locates a file whose name starts with that letter, instead of ending up in the input bar above. :-\
In Explorer Panel Settings.
 Go to the "Keyboard handling" section and uncheck "Forward keys to commandline bar
 and for "Search keys" set it to "Letters only..)
 And if you do not want the Quick search box that pops up.. then uncheck "Search Field"

Pressing "control z" does not delete a recently copied file.
Since MC is not built ontop of Windows Explorer the default undo for file operation do not work. and a own undo function is not implemented yet.
If you copy using ctrl+c/ctrl+v (then the file is copied by Windows, ) then undo will work if you go to Windows Explorer and pressed undo.

So far, I am unable to PERMANENTLY remove the "ext" column. I am content with the file name attached to the file extension. I'd appreciate it if I didn't have to right click on the title bar and untick "ext" for every new tab I open.
When you modified the columns to fit your need then select "Save current layout as default" then the default column layout will be overwritten with what you have setup

dennyhelper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 14:32:01 »
Thanks for the fast responce.
I'll try the sugestions and get back to the forum.

dennyhelper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:43:39 »
 Go to the "Keyboard handling" section and uncheck "Forward keys to commandline bar
 And if you do not want the Quick search box that pops up.. then uncheck "Search Field"

I tried the above. It didn't work. I think I know why :).
 Pressing a keyboard letter locates that letter anywhere in the folder/file name, and not the folder/file name that begins with that pressed letter only. For example pressing "d" would locate the file "Adobe" rather than the file/folder "DvDrum 3".

Also (and not very important), it will be good if Mc had proxy settings, so those of us using proxies can easily update.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:00:53 »

I tried the above. It didn't work. I think I know why :).
 Pressing a keyboard letter locates that letter anywhere in the folder/file name, and not the folder/file name that begins with that pressed letter only. For example pressing "d" would locate the file "Adobe" rather than the file/folder "DvDrum 3".
Then you did it wrong :) it works..
If it does substring matching then you have that options checked.. it is one of the options there.

Also (and not very important), it will be good if Mc had proxy settings, so those of us using proxies can easily update.
MC support IE styled proxy settings for update. Other types are not supported..

dennyhelper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 19:56:54 »
I'm still unable to locate a file by pressing the keyboard letter it begins with ::). :-[ ::) ::)

Do others experience this same problem?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 21:42:01 »
No it works. If you configure it as mentioned before
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 21:44:04 by Mathias (Author) »

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 00:35:34 »
I'm still unable to locate a file by pressing the keyboard letter it begins with ::). :-[ ::) ::)

Do others experience this same problem?

No, sorry, the error is with the user in this case.
The instructions to set this action are very precise and if followed they produce the exact result you are after.

dennyhelper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 20:12:08 »
I figured it out... :D

The only thing I did wrong was not ticking the "Quick search" box. Silly hun?

One more observation. How about being able to make other file names with the same letter reachable by repressing the letter. For example in a folder containing the following files "Ca.txt", "Cb.txt" and"Cb.txt", it may be more convenient to go from one file to the next by repressing "c" on the Keyboard rather than resorting to the cursor keys.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be in touch.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 20:42:18 by dennyhelper »

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 23:02:43 »
I would hate being limited to the multi-press you suggest.  At the moment MC is very useful for jumping between names by inputting more than one letter (Something Win Explorer cannot do).
e.g. If I have the following files/folders
    cathode
    centre
    cinch
    couch
    couch.1
    couch.f
    couch.u6
    couch.fff
    cup
    cycle

I press c but want to jump between cathode & cycle
I only have to hit y (thus giving cy as my search) much faster than arrow keys or multi-press.
Increasing the letters typed narrows the target possibilities. Additionally use of the filter in the lower right & then using name components is very fast for finding a file buried in hundreds of others.

This is just one of the reasons I cannot live without MC.   8)