Author Topic: Path failures silently ignored, should display reason  (Read 17214 times)

dbareis

• View Profile
Path failures silently ignored, should display reason
« on: July 19, 2011, 09:38:49 »
Not 100% sure of the reason but probably permissions I entered a path such as "\\SomeComputer\c$", the program would not go there but also didn't display any error messages to state that (1) and error had occured and (2) the reason for the error.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Path failures silently ignored, should display reason
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:50:38 »
Yes you shown have gotten an error.

If you go to that path in windows explorer. Do you get an error then ?

I will have a look at it.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 12:20:20 »
When trying to enter existing but inaccessible share via Windows Explorer, standard dialog appears (see pic).
MC just doesn't connect without any message

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 12:31:30 »
Strange.  I get a login dialog here.

I will do some more testing and investigate why that could happen.

dbareis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:43:31 »
I will have another go tomorrow, this was at work connecting to another computer (highly secured) in the domain. If I remember correctly I didn't start the program under an admin account, in a similar situation explorer would normally have prompted me for userid/password.

dbareis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 01:51:59 »
With my non-admin account on WINXP SP3 I tried "\\NoSuchComputer\c$" and  "\\PingableButSecureComputer\c$" and both of these failed, the first after an extended period of time (would be nice if the app pinged it first), the second quickly.  No error messages were displayed. No prompts for credentials. 

Just to clarify it its needed (I just started using the app)  I am typing this into the Address Tab's field. Is there any logging I can turn on? I tried to turn on the "logging" core setting, but if its logging i don't know where, tried looking for a log file in "%TEMP%" as well as the app tree.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:07:11 »
I tried to turn on the "logging" core setting, but if its logging i don't know where, tried looking for a log file in "%TEMP%" as well as the app tree.
On WinXP non-portable MC holds log files in the %userprofile%\Application data\MultiCommander\Logs

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 11:07:11 »
I done some test it it looks like sometimes to fails silently. and sometime you get a login dialog. Don't know why you don't get a login dialog evertime. However it if it fails it should not to it silently. So that is something I will change.

Activating logging does not do anything. There is not logging around the network connection code. Might be a good to also implement that.

I will take a look at the entire network thing. And make sure it handles errors better.