Author Topic: Can not "click and hold" to toggle selection  (Read 16839 times)

rovf

• View Profile
Can not "click and hold" to toggle selection
« on: February 23, 2015, 17:40:02 »
I'm looking for a way to select/deselect a file in the explorer pane. I have configured my left mouse button to open/execute the file, because this is what I am doing most of the time, but sometimes I just want to select or deselect a file, without doing anything else.

I have configured my mouse to associate "click and hold" for the right mouse button, with "toggle selection". However, when I click and hold the mouse - even for more than one second - it always opens the context menu instead. What am I doing wrong?

See the attached screenshot for my current settings.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Can not "click and hold" to toggle selection
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 22:06:48 »
The problem is that not all combination will work.
Some combination will collide with how core functions works and with other options, and some depends on if you are using ExplorerStyled setup or CommanderStyled setup.

But I get your setup to work. However the problem is that when you release the mouse button the Click action (context menu) is issued.
And idea is to move context menu to right button double click instead of click

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 14:22:40 »
Thank you for the explanation. I'm not all too happy with the solution, because double-click for the context menu is a bit counter intuitive....

In Windows Explorer, it can be configured, that single-clicking on the small square to the left of the filename would toggle the selection, while single-clicking on the filename would open/run the file. This is pretty convenient, because it's like eating the cake and keeping it. Would it be possible to implement something similar to Multi Commander?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 14:34:49 »
Checkboxes are already there.
The settings are under ExplorerPanel Settings

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 16:55:06 »
I *do*have the checkboxes. This is not the problem. They just don't behave in the expected way. For example, when I click on a checkbox in front of a filename of an excel file, Excel is started. Of course, the checkbox gets a checkmark too (in this respect, it selects correctly), but I don't want to have the associated program to be launched.  I only want the checkmark to be set (or removed), without a program being started.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 17:02:51 »
(Don't understand how people can run with single click active..  accentually click a file and it will launch. )
Anyway..

Probably some setting that come into conflict.  I have a faith memory that I looked at it before and that if it is fixed something breaks with CommanderStyled setup.
But not sure. If I get some time over I will check it again. But if something breaks commander style it will not be changed. CommanderStyle setup is first priority.

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 13:28:26 »
(Don't understand how people can run with single click active..  accentually click a file and it will launch. )

One can get used to it. With Windows Explorer, it practically doesn't occur that I launch something by mistake.  Actually, I am a slow clicker, and I usually set the maximum allowed click time to a higher value, to recognize my double clicks, so at least for me, single-click to launch works well.

But not sure. If I get some time over I will check it again. But if something breaks commander style it will not be changed. CommanderStyle setup is first priority.

Makes sense to me too!

Thanks anyway.

rovf

• View Profile
[SOLVED (Kind of)]: Can not "click and hold" to toggle selection
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 10:31:44 »
I finally found a workaround:

I have associated the "toggle" action to "click and hold" of the MIDDLE mouse button, and this works well. For the record, my settings are now:

Left Click : Open folder
Left Doubleclick : Open folder/execute file
Left Click and Hold : Rename
Right Click : Shell context menu
Middle Click and hold : Toggle

I can't assign toggle to only "Middle Click", because this already executes the command "save clipboard content into file", but selecting via click and hold is just fine for me.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:33:29 by rovf »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:40:39 »
I have tweaked the internals for how some of this combinations works so in the beta for next version it might (maybe) work better

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 07:14:47 »
try the latest beta.. some combination should work better now.

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 10:45:27 »
try the latest beta.. some combination should work better now.

Will installing the latest beta automatically take over my old configuration? I have done a lot of configuration/customization, and would hate to have to do it all over.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 10:46:39 »
Upgrading do not change config.  But you can always backup config from the  "Menu > Help > Backup / Restore" to be sure

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 17:37:34 »
But you can always backup config from the  "Menu > Help > Backup / Restore" to be sure

OK, backup done. Where can I get the Beta? The download page http://multicommander.com/downloads shows only the last stable version from 1st of February.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 18:09:50 »
Thanks, I could manage the update.

MC now behaves differently, but still doesn't work.

I have assigned "click" to "context menu" and "click and hold" to "toggle".

Now the behaviour is not always the same.

Sometimes (rarely), "click and hold" really select a file, but only if no other file has been selected already.

Most of the time, it shows the context menu (plus, the selected file is checkmarked, but as soon as I close the context menu, the checkmark is gone).

Sometimes, click an hold doesn not show the context menu (which would be the right thing), and shows a checkmark immediately after the mouse-down event; but as soon as I release the mouse button, the checkmark is gone.

BTW, something off-topic, but maybe of interest to you: The Multi-Update seems to have a small glitch. Nothing serious, but it can be confusing:

I had enabled "update for beta versions" and then used Help/Check for Updates to initiate the update. MC was shut down (as expected), but then, the Updater complained that MC would still be running. I checked using Process Explorer, but no MC process, so I told the Updater to go on. It went through the update without error message, but then finished without offering to start MC. When I started MC manually, I still had the old version. I then did exactly the same procedure again, and now it worked and I got the update.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 18:20:03 »
I said that SOME combination should work better now.
Not everything you wanted to do. There is still conflict between operation you want to do that can't be resolved.

Check on checkbox should break the click operation and not issue a click.
and some other combinations was fixed with right button.. (Do not remember now)

(Might be that the tooltip create some conflict with the click and hold thing, Think it steal some of the mouse command and messes with the hold action, Try to turn off tooltip)

Yes when showing context menu on a file the file must be selected (checked) else there is no file to show context menu on. that was it get toggled on / off

If Update tool say MC is running it is running. Might be that MC have not closed completely yet.
And the Update tool will then fail to overwrite files since MC site not closed yet.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 18:54:41 by Mathias (Author) »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 18:58:45 »
Have toggle selection on hold is to weird combo.. it create to many conflict with standard operations how mouse work.