Author Topic: More things  (Read 9816 times)

dennyhelper

• View Profile
More things
« on: March 24, 2015, 14:52:09 »

- I have always wondered, when it would be possible to go forward or backward in a directory by using the forward and backward cursor keys only. This has been my dream on a windows PC as far back as I can remember! Alt + back/forward cursor key, is hard work. Why the Alt??? I mean the guys a third wheel!  ::)

- Hovering over a folder does not show folder size. Size should not be a feature for files only.

- Holding down control while double-clicking on a folder should open it up in a new tab.

- In a 2 separate MC windows situation, rapidly dragging a file from one multi commander window into another will switch to the tab I had to drag the file over to access the main tab which was initially open (that is, the tab I had  originally intended to drag the file into). What I mean is, while dragging a file across the tab-bar, the initially open tab need not change if I RAPIDLY cross over any other tab in the tab-bar. So, the open tab prior to my drag and drop was was my intended drop tab, and not the tab I temporarily cross (but not hover over) to make the transaction.

- Lastly, my main problem so far with MC. There is an obvious problem with windows Portable Devices (Removable Devices, portable devices, "WPD:\"). In my experience, removing and replugging a media device, or removing the device to plug in a new device results in a problem! MC would show the Media device name, but open up to a blank directory. When this happens, I have to restart MC and loose the last tabs I was working on. (And just like that another idea suddenly came up. How about adding an option to re-open recently closed tab(s)?. Certainly, some may frown at this for security reasons. But others may find this useful)
           Still on Portable devices, details of internal memory, and memory card are not obviously displayed in "portable device" directory. They should! Better still, how about adding a sort of "My computer" option (incorporated into the Pull down menu) that summaries key details of main things? It may solve the "portable device problem" I mentioned earlier, and more importantly give Cross-sectional summary information on key computer components. :D

I am happy that "thumbnails details" is been seriously considered. It will make a difference!

Thanks again.  As at this post I was using MC v4.6.2 (build 1804) 64 bit.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: More things
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 15:41:30 »
- I have always wondered, when it would be possible to go forward or backward in a directory by using the forward and backward cursor keys only. This has been my dream on a windows PC as far back as I can remember! Alt + back/forward cursor key, is hard work. Why the Alt??? I mean the guys a third wheel!  ::)
You can configured the arrow keys for that if you want.

- Hovering over a folder does not show folder size. Size should not be a feature for files only.
Yes it should. size for folder is not a file properties. Getting the file size require that the entire folder and subfolder is scanned.
And depending on media/filesystem/other this can be a very long process that would halt MC while it was doing that.
And that is not wanted

- Holding down control while double-clicking on a folder should open it up in a new tab.
No it should not.  You might like to have the possibility for changing it, and then an option for it might be added.

- In a 2 separate MC windows situation, rapidly dragging a file from one multi commander window into another will switch to the tab I had to drag the file over to access the main tab which was initially open (that is, the tab I had  originally intended to drag the file into). What I mean is, while dragging a file across the tab-bar, the initially open tab need not change if I RAPIDLY cross over any other tab in the tab-bar. So, the open tab prior to my drag and drop was was my intended drop tab, and not the tab I temporarily cross (but not hover over) to make the transaction.
When mouse is dragged over tab it does not know if it goes fast /slow it only know mouse is over tab and we are doing a drag, and the tab is not showing so show it so you can drop stuff there.

- Lastly, my main problem so far with MC. There is an obvious problem with windows Portable Devices (Removable Devices, portable devices, "WPD:\"). In my experience, removing and replugging a media device, or removing the device to plug in a new device results in a problem! MC would show the Media device name, but open up to a blank directory. When this happens, I have to restart MC and loose the last tabs I was working on. (And just like that another idea suddenly came up. How about adding an option to re-open recently closed tab(s)?. Certainly, some may frown at this for security reasons. But others may find this useful)
I'm not able to reproduce that.
But if the new devices has the same name. The name listed maybe still is the old device and when listing it is empty because the device is gone.
Pressing refresh will refresh available portable devices.

Still on Portable devices, details of internal memory, and memory card are not obviously displayed in "portable device" directory. They should! Better still, how about adding a sort of "My computer" option (incorporated into the Pull down menu) that summaries key details of main things? It may solve the "portable device problem" I mentioned earlier, and more importantly give Cross-sectional summary information on key computer components. :D
no it should not. since memory details are not files or folder, everything show inside WPD are files or folders.
Also all that info is not even available via WPD. (depending on device)
Free/avail size is updated when you enter the card/partition on the device. (if device support it)
Sort like My Computer.. That does not work since portable device are not own devices. They are virtual folders under WPD:
MC does not use the virtual shell that Explorer is built on. All portable device must exist inside WPD since it is the virtual filesystem plugin WPD that handles everything with portable devices. MC filesystem architecture is different from Windows Explorer.

I am happy that "thumbnails details" is been seriously considered. It will make a difference!
Tumbnail details been there for a while now.

dennyhelper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:26:21 »
    I feel honored having received a reply from the Master himself. Sir, my appologies for the unintended instructive tone.

The media device problem I experience is real.  Refreshing the page dosen't help. Right now, only restarting MC works.

Rephrasing, I suggest options be put in such that:-

1) QUICKLY draging files over a tab dosen't switch tabs.(While working with 2 separate MC  windows)

2) Control + double clicking over a folder opens it on a new tab.

3) Folder (and file) size are displayed along with other properties on press of a keyboard shortcut.(This way, only the required folder(s) are scaned at a time, and not the whole system) It is more difficult arranging many folders/files without folder size especially when  working with many MC windows at the same time. Right clicking on the folder, them accessing properties is one option, but only that l'll have to hold that in my memory...

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 12:27:48 »
0) Don't know why you media device is not refreshing. It should.. By forcing a refresh it will flush all caches.. I can't reproduce that. 
Might be specific to your type of device.

1) Sorry. This will not be fixed. As described above the speed your "drag" is not know to the tab when it received information that the mouse is over it.
It would require major redesigned.  Just do not drag files over the tab area until you reach the target tag.
The only thing that might be added is an option to now auto change tab at all during drag. But then you must already have the correct tab visible when starting drag

2) All mouse operation can be configured in a generic way.. Not sure it is possible to include this. But I will investigate and check if it is possible to include an option for this.

3) You mean the properties window ? that windows is handled by Windows and MC do nothing with that
From Menu > Tools > Calcucation folder size : You can request the size of the selected (if none is selected then ALL) folders to be scanned. The size is then shown in the filelist
just as the size of the files.  Shift+Alt+Return is default hotkey..

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:39:08 by Mathias (Author) »

dennyhelper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 15:43:35 »
   Considering my "portable device  problem", I'll try  to retry to investigate culprit settings, then try  updating to MC ver 5 (when  I have free time). If all fails, is there something like a log file I could send to demonstrate my case?

Also I have been unable to que files up and keep adding to the que when sending them over bluetooth (to media devices). What are the chances of this happening any time soon?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 16:34:43 »
   Considering my "portable device  problem", I'll try  to retry to investigate culprit settings, then try  updating to MC ver 5 (when  I have free time). If all fails, is there something like a log file I could send to demonstrate my case?
If a forced refresh does not work there is nothing inside MC that can log anything useful since.
But you can go to Configuration > File System > FS-Portable and enable all logging there and see if you get an error.
But I don't think it will help much.

Also I have been unable to que files up and keep adding to the que when sending them over bluetooth (to media devices). What are the chances of this happening any time soon?
Not sure why that does not work for you.  Might be that your media device does not support when multiple actions are mixed or something.

The problem with many portable devices are that none of them are created equal and they all try to use a protocol called MTP but a lot of them implement it in different ways with different restrictions making some devices work better then others.
Many cheap devices often have very bad MTP support. They often only support the absolute minimum.

dennyhelper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 11:45:01 »
    Like the galexy Note phone? I don't think so...

Thanks. I will try some suggestions and get back to MC.

I still wonder. Has anyone been able to send files over bluetooth using MC and still able to add new files to an on-going que?? Even with Explorer, I haven't been able to do this. Over bluetooth, the rule has been one file at a time or one bunch of files at a time! MC supports adding to on-going ques. My suggestion was it would be good if Bluetooth transactions had this feature (adding files to an on-going que).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 12:08:24 »
If it does not work in Explorer it will not work with MC. They are using the same API