Author Topic: 5.2 beta Flat View bugs  (Read 12592 times)

GrantSP

• View Profile
5.2 beta Flat View bugs
« on: July 11, 2015, 07:47:19 »
Couple of things I've noticed.
  • It is very hard to see which folder is providing which file. Can the parent folder be displayed in the filename or perhaps an extra column could display to the far left that shows the folder?
  • After changing the view back to a non-'flat view', you need to change to a folder further up the tree or another disk to force a refresh or use F2.
  • Selected files are not being parsed correctly to 3rd party applications invoked by the context menu. The application either displays only the first document in both windows or only one instance is loaded. e.g. WinMerge with 'flat view' only the first file is used and is compared to itself. Or if two documents are sent to an editor only the first is sent, with different actions taken depending on the application, either two windows with the same document or just one with the second document discarded.
    This is true regardless of the name, even differently named files are not parsed correctly. However, files do appear to be handled correctly if drag/dropped onto an application in the toolbar.
    Likewise if drag/dropped into another folder, MU presents an option to merge them if they share the same name.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: 5.2 beta Flat View bugs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 11:24:16 »
1. Path is shown in tooltip, and there also is a path column to add

2. I'm not seeing an issue, What is not working ?  Show Flat.. press F2 to refresh original path.. (goes out of flat) go in into folder.

3. The Windows Shell menu is build by windows and not MC.
 I'm not sure if the shell menu support multiple items from different locations at the same time. I have not check it yet.. the whole Shell Menu thing is a mess.
 Maybe better to just disabled it for now in Flat view.

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:39:32 »
1) Yeah, fair enough. Though that does require the extra step of enabling or adjusting the status of tooltips in the settings.
2) Maybe not an issue but it is odd behaviour when 'flat view' is in the same view menu as the other views: details,list,thumbnail. Those change of views don't require a forced refresh.
3) Agreed, the shell menu will find it difficult to process these files, only mentioned in the hope you might be able to do some 'magic' on them and have it work. Easy workaround is just to assign a hotkey or toolbar application to load them, that works just fine.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 15:02:30 »
1. Maybe Path column should be auto added when entering flat.  But if you already have a own column layout it will be messed up and there are some other issues too.  But maybe something like that

2. The location is temporary.. maybe.
http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,1457.msg5289.html#msg5289
http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,1462.0.html

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 15:04:48 by Mathias (Author) »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 12:52:46 »
Context menu if flat view  might maybe, possibly work better in build1958
(you might need to stand on one leg while jumping around your chair while singing for it to work.. or not..)

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 00:37:12 »
Context menu does indeed work much better. Files are parsed correctly by all methods. Excellent.
See, I knew you could wield your magic.
No jumping around a chair on one leg while singing needed... though I did use a small coffee table!