Author Topic: MDV click select  (Read 12634 times)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
MDV click select
« on: July 25, 2015, 13:22:35 »
Using MDV via <F1> I find I can block select words/values with a double click.
If I click the view file icon on find results this function will only partially select the block, usually only 1 or 2 chars.
Can this be 'fixed'?

I'd also love to see a double-click/block select/copy to clipboard function in MDV.  Is that possible?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: MDV click select
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 13:44:04 »
I find no issue here. Maybe I don't fully understand the issue.

It is the same viewer, It works the same.
It will select words when double clicking on the word.

also double-click on to word select and the press Ctrl+C to copy to clipboard works

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:02:16 »
Sorry Mathias I wasn't clear enough...
The 'error' occurs when selecting strings that have mixed chars. 
See screens
029_FV4101 is selected when using <f1>
FV is selected when invoking MDV from the find dialog.
Word boundary defined differently (?)

I was thinking of an auto copy to clipboard when double-click/selecting so no right-click or ctrl+c req'd.  Guess it would need to be an option that gets turned on/off by user if req'd.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 14:05:36 »
Ahh okey.
Yes looks like some of the options (Menu > Options > Options , in the viewer) are not loaded correct when opening from search.
I will take a look at that

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 12:43:34 »
Thanks Mathias.

Wondering if adding a 'select-on-double-click' function to options is a big task?
It occurred to me that the MDV having no editing function makes a good tool for string copying (passwords etc) with little danger of altering the source file.  A gimmick or a time-saver?
I wondered how easy it would be to create a plug-in that did it with C++.  Something for an amateur to mess with.  :P

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 22:03:39 »
Thanks Mathias.

Wondering if adding a 'select-on-double-click' function to options is a big task?
It occurred to me that the MDV having no editing function makes a good tool for string copying (passwords etc) with little danger of altering the source file.  A gimmick or a time-saver?
I wondered how easy it would be to create a plug-in that did it with C++.  Something for an amateur to mess with.  :P
Would be be "Copy on Select" or something, Would not just be double click, Would be any text part that is selected.
But not in the release that are about to come out any day now. That release is locked for text changes. And that feature must be an OptIn option.
But maybe in the next version after that. I have a couple of other thinks I also want to add to the viewer so maybe can include an option for that.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 15:39:39 »
I was meaning double-click select (as already implemented) & auto-copy = select block + copy selected block to copy clipboard

Sounds like you already have the idea as I had envisaged it with opt-in etc.
I suppose this function has a lot of possible uses within MC such as for grabbing a path from the address bar.

I look forward to your future releases.  There is always something new to play with :)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 19:47:46 »
I was meaning double-click select (as already implemented) & auto-copy = select block + copy selected block to copy clipboard
Yes I know. But if it copy on selection then double click will also copy since it is doing a selection when double clicking.
So you get the copy both on double click and range selection.. or cursor selections also I guess.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 12:06:56 »
Ahh I see what you mean.   I hadn't considered the 'boundaries' of implementation in the structured way you had explained it.   ::) :)
i.e. if a selection is set to auto-copy, does that process of auto-copy then become active throughout all selection scenarios or can it be restricted to only some selection methods.
I'm guessing the code will normally extend the function globally.  (I'm trying to recall what C++ does with these features but it's been a few hundred years since I was last trying it out :P )
Thanks for clarifying.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 19:13:44 »
No it will be in the viewer only. No global hook in windows.
Maybe also add it to other places in MC. but it needs to be added for every UI object that should support it.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 08:35:45 »
In the latest Beta bulid ( 1999 ) you can now enable in the fileviewer that it should auto copy selection to clipboard.
and you can also enable it to only do it for smart selection (dbl click selection..)