Author Topic: It would be nice to be able to remove buttons from the File Commands toolbar  (Read 6595 times)

pmennen

• View Profile
Because the Command Line toolbar is so customizable I don't think it would add much to give the File Commands toolbar the same flexibility, but on the other hand it would be very nice to be able to at least remove buttons from the File Commands toolbar. (Forgive me if there is already a way to do this ... but I coudn't find it). In particular I would like to remove the last one ("Select File Coloring Profiles"). In fact it seems surprising to me that you even have that button there. It's in the menus and that would seem sufficient since one is unlikely to visit this menu after the initial setup is complete. So to me it just adds to the clutter. I feel the same about the button next to it (toggle visibility of system/hidden files). Personally I never want to hide any files. Doing that always ends up confusing me. There is also one other icon I would like to remove since I have replaced it with one of my own buttons on the command line toolbar.

If there is a way to replace the button icons, that would serve the same purpose. I could just replace the icon with a blank icon which would make the icon invisible, thus reducing the clutter factor.

~Paul

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
It might look like the area after the command line field is a normal toolbar but it is not. The QuickLaunchBar is very different from a toolbar.
Toolbar are fixed because of internal reasons and because everything is built area a plugin/extension arcitecture. so each toolbar is own by its extension.

File Coloring on the toolbar have a lot of more option then in the menu, Toggles it on/off,  you switch between different coloring profiles from there too.

So no the toolbar is currently not customizable. It is on my list but require a lot of redesign and a total custom toolbar

pmennen

• View Profile
So no the toolbar is currently not customizable. It is on my list but require a lot of redesign and a total custom toolbar

Actually ... as the expression goes "When there is a will there is a way" :)

Attached is a screen capture showing my toolbars. Note that the icons on the file toolbar that I was not using have been blanked out.
For me, the reduction in visual clutter was worth the minor effort required to edit the icons file.
Also, for me the "C:/" on the clipboard icon was more confusing than helpful ... so I removed it.

The 5 black icons containing yellow text are my Quick Paths. Yes, I know I can get to them via the "star" icon, but I find I use these enough to justify having single click access. It's great that this toolbar is so customizable, since I like to use it for nearly everything. (I don't particularly care for the look of the button area at the bottom as well as the space it takes up, so I have disabled that.)

~Paul