Author Topic: Bugs in Multicommander v5.5 (most probably in the latest version too)  (Read 10513 times)

nathan_never

• View Profile
    Awesome programme. It has almost replaced the windows shell. Thanks a million for coding it and maintaining it. You really must love coding and your fellowmen.

I'm still using v5.5 (build 1975) portable version, if any of the bugs i'm reporting has already been fixed in the latest version, please let me know.

Bugs?:
    • If I have created a used defined menu item through "user defined commands" and used it to arrange it to in a submenu along with other items using "menu customization option" and then if I delete the single menu item, the whole of the submenu along with other items also deleted.
      For eg, if create Notepad++ menu item and arranged it under user menu > Office, deleting Notepad++ menu item also deletes the whole Office submenu. The only way to avoid it is to first remove the item from the submenu and then delete it from "user defined commands"
    • "File types setup" > "Icons": treats extensions in caps and lower cases separately and I have create separate commands for each case
    • "user defined commands" > "New" > "command type" > "External" --> gives only absolute paths with no option to convert it to relative path. I can convert it to relative path manually using ${mcinstallpath} (but not ${mcpath}). Wish there is an option to do it with a button
    • This in relation to the above: If I create an item with relative path using the above method and then use it to create an icon in the quick lauch bar with "Insert User Defined Command", it does not show the original icon. I have use cutomize option to insert the path to the original exe file through the "alternate icon" option. But it does not accept relative paths whether I try ${mcinstallpath}or ${mcpath}
    • Is there any progress in making multicommander and listary to play good?

Moving away from bugs;
    • Is there any future plan to integrate option like in sage thumbs? SageThumbs Sourceforge / SageThumbs Present page. I already use sage thumbs to preview files in explorer in thumbnails view, but it does not show up in multicommander thumbnails view
    • Is there any future plan to add context menu support ala filemenu tools? FileMenu Tools
    • Also can anybody educate me on how to change the keyboard shortcut for Tools > to clipboard > files/folders path and name? Thanks

nathan_never

• View Profile
Re: Bugs in Multicommander v5.5 (most probably in the latest version too)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:16:46 »
It's me again with one more similar bug
  • File Type Setup > Icons --> I created multiple extensions and used a single dll file to set their icons, and later when I deleted a single extension or changed its icon to another dll/ico file, the whole of the extension which used the initial dll file lost their icons or sometime the extension themselves disappear

Now a request/query:
  • Is it possible for user created menu items to show their original exe file icon. At present it is just grey in colour. It is just an eye-candy but would improve the aesthetics a lot

More info: I'm on winxp sp3

Thanks for listening.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 12:15:44 »
    • If I have created a used defined menu item through "user defined commands" and used it to arrange it to in a submenu along with other items using "menu customization option" and then if I delete the single menu item, the whole of the submenu along with other items also deleted.
      For eg, if create Notepad++ menu item and arranged it under user menu > Office, deleting Notepad++ menu item also deletes the whole Office submenu. The only way to avoid it is to first remove the item from the submenu and then delete it from "user defined commands"
    Not able to recreate that. Only the selected menu item is deleted when I try

• "File types setup" > "Icons": treats extensions in caps and lower cases separately and I have create separate commands for each case
    This might be a bug. have not tested but will check it out later.

• "user defined commands" > "New" > "command type" > "External" --> gives only absolute paths with no option to convert it to relative path. I can convert it to relative path manually using ${mcinstallpath} (but not ${mcpath}). Wish there is an option to do it with a button
    Since you can write a lot of different things there it is not possible to just have a button since then the program need to analyze and try to figure out what is what and what to change.  It is to messy.  Easiest thing is to use MultiScript instead it support a lot more

• This in relation to the above: If I create an item with relative path using the above method and then use it to create an icon in the quick lauch bar with "Insert User Defined Command", it does not show the original icon. I have use cutomize option to insert the path to the original exe file through the "alternate icon" option. But it does not accept relative paths whether I try ${mcinstallpath}or ${mcpath}
    Ofz, the QuickLaunchbar does understand user defined commands. it just lunches programs.  It is like the quicklinks bar on the taskbar in XP

Don't know. Have no idea what they need or anything like that.

• Is there any future plan to integrate option like in sage thumbs? SageThumbs Sourceforge / SageThumbs Present page. I already use sage thumbs to preview files in explorer in thumbnails view, but it does not show up in multicommander thumbnails view
    Not sure what 'sage' is.  But it looks like it is a shell extension that hook into windows thumbnail engine, Then it will be used by MC if the Thumbnail engine used is set to Windows. As it is by default on Win7+,

• Is there any future plan to add context menu support ala filemenu tools? FileMenu Tools
    Standard shell extensions should work in MC.  But a customized MC context menu is planned.

• Also can anybody educate me on how to change the keyboard shortcut for Tools > to clipboard > files/folders path and name? Thanks
    Keyboard customization > Module : Explorer Panel
    command "Files/Folder path and name"
    [/list][/list]

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
    • VIP Member
      • View Profile
      • Multi Commander
    « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 12:19:17 »
    • File Type Setup > Icons --> I created multiple extensions and used a single dll file to set their icons, and later when I deleted a single extension or changed its icon to another dll/ico file, the whole of the extension which used the initial dll file lost their icons or sometime the extension themselves disappear
    Not sure I understand. Not able to recreate that

• Is it possible for user created menu items to show their original exe file icon. At present it is just grey in colour. It is just an eye-candy but would improve the aesthetics a lot
    No, icon in menu is not support. Might be in the future, Whole menu system is being redesigned. however the new system will not be supported on XP.

nathan_never

• View Profile
    Sorry for late reply, road re-laying in my part of town accidentally cut off the telephone lines, so I was without net connection past week.

Not able to recreate that. Only the selected menu item is deleted when I try

I have added image to illustrate my point (sorry, don't know how to embed the image into the post)
    http://expirebox.com/download/87c1a14f16b687234e346bac598af0b3.html

This might be a bug. have not tested but will check it out later.

I had already reported it once before. Hopefully will be corrected in the next version

Since you can write a lot of different things there it is not possible to just have a button since then the program need to analyze and try to figure out what is what and what to change.  It is to messy.  Easiest thing is to use MultiScript instead it support a lot more

I am now slowly trying to understand the multiscript concept, hopefully will understand enough to try your method.

Ofz, the QuickLaunchbar does understand user defined commands. it just lunches programs.  It is like the quicklinks bar on the taskbar in XP

Yes, quicklauncher understands the user defined commands, but if I have used relative paths in userdefined commands, then it does not show the proper icon of the exe file.

Don't know. Have no idea what they need or anything like that.

Sorry to hear that. This is the only thing I miss in Explorer.

Not sure what 'sage' is.  But it looks like it is a shell extension that hook into windows thumbnail engine, Then it will be used by MC if the Thumbnail engine used is set to Windows. As it is by default on Win7+,

Maybe different in win xp, not a big deal. If MC supports it natively without need to add the sagethumb extension it would be awesome.

Standard shell extensions should work in MC.  But a customized MC context menu is planned.

That's great news. Filemenu tools work in MC. But I thought if it is inbuilt in MC, that is one more program I don't have to install. Recently i've started using another context menu tool called KuShellExtension http://sourceforge.net/projects/kushellext/. It also uses xml file.

Keyboard customization > Module : Explorer Panel
    command "Files/Folder path and name"

Got it. Thanks.

nathan_never

• View Profile
    Not sure I understand. Not able to recreate that

Still seeing the bug, maybe limited to winxp.

No, icon in menu is not support. Might be in the future, Whole menu system is being redesigned. however the new system will not be supported on XP.

Waiting for the day. Maybe it's time to move away from xp. It's just that I got it working just the way I want it, to disturb it.