Author Topic: Multirename by date works not properly  (Read 11713 times)

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
Multirename by date works not properly
« on: March 27, 2016, 18:58:51 »
Multirename by modified date give a date in wrong format out. A doublepoint : cant be in a filename. Filenames will be sorted by text, therefore have a date in a filename to be in wrong order with the year at front and the second at last (Example: "|Y]-|M]-|D] |h]-|m]-|s]"

The Core-Date works not and the main date "|Y]-|M]-|D] |h]-|m]-|s]" is using a wrong date which is not useable. It seem its the creation date. The creation date is often not useable because its changed after copy from a mobile device. Renaming by exif have i not tested yet, but i can say, the exif date have also to be in a wrong order like |Y]-|M]-|D] |h]-|m]-|s].

Best regards and keep he good work and make the best commander of all.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 19:35:59 by Matthias515566 »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Multirename by date works not properly
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 22:14:21 »
It depends on what regional format you have on you date..
But to remove unwanted characters from that add that character to the find /replace section  replace ":" with "" or "\" with "" or "-"

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 16:36:20 »
This helps me not because i cant write the year at first with search and replace. It will be very nice when you add some other options for renaming by date. The easyst way to make a change is that you setup the changing-date for the |Y]-|M]-|D] |h]-|m]-|s].

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 16:44:53 »
Sorry. Then I don't understand what the problem is.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 17:37:28 »
The problem is, that the Creation-Date of a file is not needed for renaming. But your parameter like
Code: [Select]
[Y] use the Creation Date of a file. Better is the Changing-date of a File. You just must changing the kind of Source Date which your main parameter use. The Plugins and more Parameter-Functions should just ignoring the local Date-Format.
I need a Date like 2016-03-28 18-05-05 in my files. I use such Dates later also in Excel and i need it sometimes to prevent lost dates after Editing some files.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 18:04:19 »
Matthias515566

[?ExtendedProp.datemodify-{yyyy-MM-dd| HH-mm-ss}]
Is it what you'd like to see?

P.S. See also - online doc.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 18:05:55 by Jungle »

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 18:19:43 »
Matthias515566

Thanks alot. I guess i have to read the documentation.

Why is the creation-Date useless? Because this date is everytime changed when a file be moved or copied or downloaded from internet copied from mobile device etc.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 18:21:20 by Matthias515566 »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 18:40:33 »
Matthias515566

Thanks alot. I guess i have to read the documentation.

Why is the creation-Date useless? Because this date is everytime changed when a file be moved or copied or downloaded from internet copied from mobile device etc.

When MC and most other programs copy a file they will try to keep all the date field. unless you turn it off.
Create date are actually useful. Modify date is when the file was last modified. Not all programs respected this and just rewrite a new file.
But a lot do.  And it is used a lot.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 20:56:55 »
Windows destroy the creation date, and when i copy some voice-memos from my mobile device, the creation date = copy date. Thats the problem. Also any pdf file from emails are saved with the creation date = date of saved the attachment. The filees will be renamed soon, so that the modify-date is like the real creation date.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 21:27:57 »
Windows destroy the creation date, and when i copy some voice-memos from my mobile device, the creation date = copy date. Thats the problem. Also any pdf file from emails are saved with the creation date = date of saved the attachment. The filees will be renamed soon, so that the modify-date is like the real creation date.
Sorry No.. Windows is design around them and is a very impotent part in some business systems.
You even got a access filetime. That is updated everything a file is opened. But since Win7 that is off by default unless and the admin activates it. (It does hurt performance a bit)

Yes, if you copy a file to/from a filesystem that does not support it. It can't be kept. Normal user do not have much use of it.  for them LastModified is most important.  and that is the time that is shown by default as filetime.