Author Topic: Connectiion to mobile devices over MTP (WPD:\) works not properly  (Read 8371 times)

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
Big MTP (WPD:\) Probems:

- Moving files will be always only copying files
- The Mobile Device won´t be actualized until MC is restarted, you can press the actualize button without any effect.
- Sometimes it show the folders of the mobile device while the mobile device is alredy unplugged.
- Often the job fail with a error message

TC have also problems with MTP (WPD:\)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 15:55:20 by Matthias515566 »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Connectiion to mobile devices over MTP (WPD:\) works not properly
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 22:22:49 »
Big MTP (WPD:\) Probems:

- Moving files will be always only copying files
- The Mobile Device won´t be actualized until MC is restarted, you can press the actualize button without any effect.
- Sometimes it show the folders of the mobile device while the mobile device is alredy unplugged.
- Often the job fail with a error message

MTP/WPD are a very bad protocol, and what is making it worse is that the MTP support in many devices not 100%, lots of devices are not supporting some things.
and some devices are not acting the same as other devices when sent the same command.
Long story short.. MTP/WPD is a mess.

But however MC could probably handle some things better. But I have not had the time. the basics works, so other things been prioritized over wpd/mtp.
But I got list with things on my list around this.

Not sure what this means ? when you go to portable.. if the device is not there press refresh and it will to a rescan for devices.

The problem is that MC does not get informed by Windows that the device goes missing when you jank the device.. press Refresh to force a refresh

-Often the job fail with a error message
Depends on what you do and device. But the devices I have works pretty good for all normal operations.
But WTP/MTP is very very device specific.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 16:31:53 »
No, refresh and rescan do not work. I havbe a Samsung Galaxy XCover 3 and wish back to the Android 2.3 where the SD-Card will be like a Harddrive.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 16:48:28 »
Not sure what refresh issue you have is.. But when forcing a refresh MC will refetch all items from the device again.

However some devices are doing snapshotting of the MTP API layer. and if new files are added while connected.. (Like taking a photo) they will not show up until the device is reconnected.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 13:34:16 »
But Multirename on MTP Devices is possible, this is very nice. :)