Author Topic: Update check not working  (Read 7394 times)

MilesAhead

• View Profile
Update check not working
« on: April 11, 2016, 17:30:50 »
I notice that when I see a new version of MultiCommander available when looking through download sites, running the Check for Updates does nothing.  Neither does MC tell me anything about a new version on startup.  The only aspect that does work is running the Updater out of the Help Menu.  Then it will tell me to close MC etc..

I don't know when this stopped working but it goes at least as far back as the 6.0.xxx builds 64 bit version.

I just updated to the version released today, April 11.  When I run Check for Updates from the Help Menu, nothing happens.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Update check not working
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 18:16:06 »
It should work

Maybe your firewall blocks MultiCommander from accessing the network ?

MilesAhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 21:14:01 »
It should work

Maybe your firewall blocks MultiCommander from accessing the network ?

No, because if I run the Updater explicitly it queries the version and tells me it is up to date or whatnot.  The Check For Updates acts like the input never happened.

Does Check For Updates use the same port etc.. as Updater?

Edit:  I have a Laptop and run no firewall on Windows 8.0.  Of course whatever WiFi I am using their network admin decides what to block.  But it seems like if Updater.exe gets through the file manage should also.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 21:16:05 by MilesAhead »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 21:26:00 »
Thats why I think Firewall, The Updater is a separate .exe and firewall in windows often block based on .exe
They all go out to a website for checking version.. normal web request to port 80.

Windows have a built in firewall, or you disable it ? if the built in is on, You can try to temporary disable it and see if it work. if it does.. go to advanced firewall settings and you probably finds a entry for MultiCommander

When a program do network stuff, windows pops up a message asking if it is allowed. If you pressed 'no' Windows adds a block in the firewall for that program.

The only logical reason for the MC not finding new version and Updater do.. Is that something is blocking MC from doing it.