Author Topic: copy files is blocking main MC (portable)  (Read 9421 times)

sickOfMS

• View Profile
copy files is blocking main MC (portable)
« on: April 12, 2016, 21:26:48 »
win 8 MC x64 v6.0 build 2118
copy lot of files so that you get the progress bar
hit pause in progress bar

Problem is MC is blocked you can't do anything (even without pause if copy takes long time)

attached my settings/configs
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 21:29:53 by sickOfMS »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: copy files is blocking main MC (portable)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 21:41:11 »
What do you mean with blocking ?
How do you do the copy ? there are like 6-7-8 way to initiate a copy, Using F5/F2, Drag Drop from inside MC, From outside to inside MC,,  Copy Paste, and many more ways.. some of them will trigger Windows Explorer to handle the copy.

However if MC internal copy engine is used it is running in the background and would not block the main UI.

And you only need to copy 1 file to get a progressbar..  it is always created. but if the copy is over fast it can autoclose.
So number of files does not matter..  1 big file is enough
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 21:47:15 by Mathias (Author) »

sickOfMS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 21:53:54 »
yes sorry that wasn't clear.
one or more files idea was to have progress bar for some time so you can hit pause.

I am doing simple CTRL+C CTRL+V (simple copy no any special window asking me what I want ... I already know I want to copy files same as in Windows Explorer)

my configs are included I don't remember changing anything regarding copy (maybe I did) but it looks to me that copy is handled by Windows Explorer i.e. progress bar is identical as if I copy using WE.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 21:55:50 »
Okey you are actually doing the one way that is triggering Windows Explorer to do the copy.

doing Ctrl-C , Ctrl-V to copy, then Windows Explorer does the copy.

sickOfMS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 22:10:10 »
ok  good. But how can I copy paste file(s)/folder(s) using keyboard shortcuts and not having any nagging window/popup asking me any question(s) i.e. I want to do copy paste same as in WE but not to block MC, please ?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 22:13:33 »
You just press enter on the windows where can enter filters and all the other special MC copy features.
Or you can script it way using a CustomCommand action if you do not want to use any of the pro features
using
MC.Explorer.Copy NODIALOG

But then you cannot use filters, plugins and other things.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 22:20:20 by Mathias (Author) »

sickOfMS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 16:20:59 »
"You just press enter..."
that's the point I do not want to press enter ... I want to do CTRL+C then I navigate to folder where I want to paste and I do CTRL+V ... and I don't want questions, popups to hit enter or any other key.

"MC.Explorer.Copy NODIALOG ..."
I tried using that command but what it does is when I run it (using my shortcut) it copies whatever I selected directly into another explorer panel currently opened in MC. I certainly don't want that at all ... not at all, not ever ... I want to copy as in WE or any other WE alternative software ... I want to hit CTRL+V and paste it where I want it and not to auto-paste to other panel.

And of course it goes without saying that CTRL+V i.e. paste is launched into a separate thread so that it does not block MC so while pasting is happening I can continue to work in MC ... but it looks like it is such a big problem to launch shell command or whatever you're using to paste using WE ... I don't care if the copy is done using xcopy or your own copy or WE copy ... but isn't it simple to make just CTRL+C CTRL+V behavior as it is been for so long time just don't run it directly run it in thread and you're done ? Or I will use your copy but just give me the option that I chose later where I do paste i.e. don't auto-paste it immediately to other panel ?

sickOfMS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 16:23:45 »
plus I want to be able to copy in MC and paste it in WE ... that is what now CTRL+C CTRL+V does and that's ok .... you only need to launch CTRL+V in a thread and not in MC directly so MC is blocked.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 16:44:02 »
Sorry. You can have the cake and also eat it :)
Copying via the clipboard , Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V will invoke Windows Explorer copy engine. (Using clipboard file filecopy is so bad. It is very very limited and is a workaround that is from Win95 days and got so many issues. )

Also it can't be marshalled to the background safe without a of weird issues happening. Would be easier if MC was built on top of WinExplorer. but so many other things would be worse.

Btw script command for calling paste is MC.ShellPaste   but I do not think it will solve you threading issue

There are plans for something that hijack the paste.. But it is not on the top of my list, ( Since I never use it my self.)

A bad workaround is to launch a external program that do paste to a path you send it. Another is not to use Ctrl+V :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 17:05:20 by Mathias (Author) »