Author Topic: How to make a copy of a folder in the same directory?  (Read 5314 times)

JF7

• View Profile
How to make a copy of a folder in the same directory?
« on: April 19, 2016, 11:52:46 »
Hi,

there's one thing that prevents me from using MultiCommander smoothly which is a pity. This is how it behaves when creating a copy of a folder inside the same folder.

I'm used to how it worked in Norton Commander and other similar file managers. MultiCommander does it accordingly only for files: Select/mark the file, press F5, enter the new name, press enter.

Unfortunately, for folders, MultiCommander does not make simply a copy of the folder but instead copies it as a subfolder of a new folder with the given new name. For me this seems plain wrong. Maybe it could work like this if the new name ends with a backslash.

So. is this behaviour really intended? Can it be customized to work like I would expect?

Thanks
Jeff

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: How to make a copy of a folder in the same directory?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 12:07:46 »
It is because it comes in conflict with other features.

But if you do F5, Enter NewName, Ctrl+P, Arrow down,  then Return to start copy.. it works..
(Ctrl+P changes focus to FileOp Plugin box, and arrow down select the first that is Folder Content, that copy the folder content )

(Yes, it is two more keys and that is a pain,  But can be change to just one extra key by assigning the the FileOpPlugin settings to quick load preset. then it is just an extra F-x key
 like   eg F5, Enter Name , F1, Return  )

JF7

• View Profile
Re: How to make a copy of a folder in the same directory?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:03:45 »
Thank you for these explanations!

The problem is not only the additional keypress - but the force of habit...