Author Topic: Folder Tree: Why a + even at empty folders?  (Read 8486 times)

Magistus

• View Profile
Folder Tree: Why a + even at empty folders?
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:27:57 »
Hi,

in my folder tree are plus-symbols (+) at the left of all folders, even when they have no sub-folders. Why? These symbols are only needed to expand an folder if is has sub-folders. When I click at a + of an empty folder, the + disappears. Is there an option to avoid prevent the +-symbols at folders which have no sub-folders?

Kind regards,
Magistus ...

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Folder Tree: Why a + even at empty folders?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 22:10:46 »
Because it does not know if the folder is empty or not until it scanned it.  And it have not scanned it until you press it.

Magistus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:46:52 »
Hm, I think an option "Scanning Subfolders" would be helpfull. Windows Explorer does not have this problem. Total Commander also not.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 10:13:27 »
Then TC and Explorer must have it wrong :) because all FM must be the same

Magistus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 12:27:42 »
This picture shows on the left the Windows Explorer and on the right Multi Commander. You see, it is not the same. Windows Explorer recognizes if a folder has no subfolders. If Windows Explorer does this wrong, then the wrong way is the better way!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 13:01:22 »
Yes Correct, Windows Explorer is wrong. And they are wrong about a lot of things. If Explorer was always right there would be no need for anything else. :)
It might be better for you. But not for me..

For example, Scanning all subfolders are slower, and it will wake up drives if mounted in folders. And that is more of a pain for me since I got mounted devices into folders.

Magistus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 09:50:03 »
Yes, and this is the reason why an option for that behaviour would be the best solution. You could it turn off and I could it turn on (or vice versa).

By the way: The main reason for me to use Multi Commander is, that it is the only file manager I found, in which every tab has it’s own folder tree. What I mean is, that it is possible, that in tab 1 folder A is expanded and in tab 2 folder B is expanded. In all other file managers, in all tabs are the same folders expanded. If I expand folder B in tab 2, it is also expanded in tab 1. You understand what I mean? (Sorry for my bad English!)