Author Topic: Multi Commander 6.4 BETA/RC  (Read 23628 times)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Multi Commander 6.4 BETA/RC
« on: July 17, 2016, 19:57:08 »
The following fixes/changes since v6.2

** RELEASE CANDIDATE **

165+ Changes

-- Build 2215 ( 2016-07-24 )
   FIXED - Very rare filesystem scanning timing issue if multiple scans was started at the same time during startup
   FIXED - File system scanning thread should lockup in very rare situation if two or more file system scanning request was less then 5ms apart
   ADDED - MultiUpdate tool now support XP edition of MultiCommander. If run on XP it will check for and upgrade to the XP edition of MC when it exists.
   FIXED - MultiUpdate cleaned up and removed unused settings and code.

-- Build 2211 ( 2016-07-21 )
   FIXED - FindFiles dialogs will now auto switch to wildcard/contains if incorrect data entered. And add * if no LookFor content is entered
   FIXED - Searching 2 character folders where first character was "." was not entered correct. (eg ".F" )
   FIXED - Custom Command MC.FileSearch.Search did not handle Multiple "LookFor" matches in "SEARCHFOR" correct
   FIXED - Fileoperation plugin 'CopyContent' works again
   FIXED - Packing with filters so all items in a folders are excluded, The empty folder will now be added

-- Build 2208 Beta ( 2016-07-20 )
   FIXED - Horizontal scrollbar was not restored correctly when coming back from message, when filesystem scanning took a long time
   FIXED - Focus is restored to ExplorerPanel after changing view mode
   FIXED - There is now less of a risk that something will interfere with Explorer Panel between when filesystem is scanned and UI is updated.
   FIXES - Internal code cleanup and for all the latest changes.

-- Build 2205 Beta( 2016-07-17 )
   ADDED - Major internal redesign of how Filesystem scanning work. It is now a async operation.
           Runs in background with less blocking of UI.
           Improves Flat filesystem scanning a lot.
           Better aborting of filesystem scanning, Better startup time when loading many tabs.
           (Note : If you have issues, You can in settings enable the old filesystem scanning engine)
   ADDED - Custom Command "MC.FileSearch.Search" now has option "SEARCHINALLSELECTED"
   ADDED - File Search "Look In" quick picker (Popup) now as option "Selected folders in other panel"
   ADDED - Custom Command "MC.FileSearch.Search" optin "HIDE" should work again
   CHANGE- Option for CustomCommand MC.Explorer.Refresh changed
   FIXED - Saving Quicklaunch button with "&" character in the path now works
   FIXED - Modifying Color filters did not always work
   FIXED - Pressing cancel on "Add to queue" question now works again.
   FIXED - Some a couple of high DPI issues
   FIXED - If a file search was done with content matching, That content matching are sent to view when viewing file in from search result

Please report any error. Specially around scanning the filesystem.

If you get problems with the filesystem scanning you can turn on the old filesystem scanning engine again.
Go to  "Explorer Panel Settings" >  "Display" tab > "Tweaking" section
And enable the settings
 [.] Use old filesystem scanning engine

Then restart MC.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 14:29:05 by Mathias (Author) »

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Commander 6.4 BETA
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:06:20 »
New filesystem scanning.
1. Go to 'big' folder like x:\windows or x:\users (tens of thousands; actually I can't provide more accurate values)
2. Switch to List View
3. Enable Flat View
4. After scanning scrolling via keyboard gets broken. Cursor can be moved but file list is not scrolled until scrollbar is clicked.

View mode switching.
After changing view mode via UI (clicking btton and choosing mode from menu) focus remains onto panel with buttons (root/view mode/free space/device dropdown). I think it should go onto the active file panel.

Hotkeys
If Quick Search is done via Ctrl+Alt+[Letter] or Alt+[Letter], then other Ctr+Alt+ (Alt+) based shortcuts don't work. I think MC should warn a user in both cases:
a) in Customize keyboard wizard when user tries to set Ctrl+Alt / Alt based shortcut while the same Quick Search is enabled;
b) in Explorer Panel settings when user tries to set Ctrl+Alt / Alt based Quick Search while having the same based shortcuts.

P.S. Flat view was tested on Intel i-5 3570 CPU, 8 Gb RAM, Win7 Enterprise.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:08:37 by Jungle »

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 17:00:56 »
I can confirm that "MC.FileSearch.Search" option "SEARCHINALLSELECTED" works as expected (very useful, BTW) and
"MC.FileSearch.Search" option "HIDE" is fixed :)

Alan

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 00:30:58 »
New filesystem scanning.
1. Go to 'big' folder like x:\windows or x:\users (tens of thousands; actually I can't provide more accurate values)
2. Switch to List View
3. Enable Flat View
4. After scanning scrolling via keyboard gets broken. Cursor can be moved but file list is not scrolled until scrollbar is clicked.
Ahh okey. some UI action is locked during scan.  I guess some of them are not unlocked correct. or something. I will check Thx

New filesystem scanning.
View mode switching.
After changing view mode via UI (clicking btton and choosing mode from menu) focus remains onto panel with buttons (root/view mode/free space/device dropdown). I think it should go onto the active file panel.
I will look into that.

Hotkeys
If Quick Search is done via Ctrl+Alt+[Letter] or Alt+[Letter], then other Ctr+Alt+ (Alt+) based shortcuts don't work. I think MC should warn a user in both cases:
a) in Customize keyboard wizard when user tries to set Ctrl+Alt / Alt based shortcut while the same Quick Search is enabled;
b) in Explorer Panel settings when user tries to set Ctrl+Alt / Alt based Quick Search while having the same based shortcuts.
I will see if it is possible.. Problem is that everything is plugins.. and thats great since I can add new features easier.. BUT it also means that each module does not what the other module is doing. So I'm not sure if 'A' is possible.
Maybe B is ..

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 19:22:43 »
Beta build 2211 has various fixes with custom command MC.FileSearch.Search
But there are many options and I might have missed some.

So if you have any issue with this command lets me know..

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Multi Commander 6.4 BETA/RC
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 14:34:16 »
MultiCommander v6.4 Release Candidate

I was actually planing to include a lot of other minor fixes and changes. But plans have changed. I will break this release in two.
The new filesystem scanning have taken a lot more time then planned. So a release with that as a main feature and then a new release in a month or so with new changes and fixed.
and if issues are found with the filesystem scanning they can also be send out faster.

XP
End of XP is coming..
This release or probably next will be the last to work on XP. BUT there will be a XP Edition of Multi Commander and it will get fixes and minor features.
The Update tool "MultiUpdate.exe" have been updated in this release to support the XP edition.
If the tool is run on XP it will say it will download the XP Edition. It is also possible in the settings page enable "Force XP Edition" then it will download the XP edition even on Win7
But currently the XP edition does not exits, It will say it downloads the XP edition, but it will actually download the normal version for now. 
It is just a preparation for the future. So when XP support ends. and you run on XP it will upgrade it to MultiCommander XP Edition
(The XP edition will only exists in a 32bit version.)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 14:38:50 by Mathias (Author) »

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 11:50:16 »
Using b2215 on w7x64 I am seeing a bit of weirdness on the column sizing, often when I apply a filter.
I normally use detailed view & have the columns at a fixed width per type.

They now seem to suddenly auto-size to different widths to my default setting, but not always. ???
This is very noticeable with the size & date columns.
I also see that 'autoresize' is greyed out on the right-click menu for column settings.

Just me or is something else occurring?

.....& Thanks for the update Mathias. ;)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 13:13:40 »
Using b2215 on w7x64 I am seeing a bit of weirdness on the column sizing, often when I apply a filter.
I normally use detailed view & have the columns at a fixed width per type.

They now seem to suddenly auto-size to different widths to my default setting, but not always. ???
This is very noticeable with the size & date columns.
I also see that 'autoresize' is greyed out on the right-click menu for column settings.

Just me or is something else occurring?

.....& Thanks for the update Mathias. ;)
I don't know. Might be some issue because the the panel are blank when first shown.. (But the filescan are often fast so you will not notice it.)

AutoResize is grey out if the settings to AutoResize option in settings are ON, because then it will always do auto resize for you.
when that option is off that option in the popup can be selected and then you can call AutoResize manually when need to.

Normally 'Restore Columns' will fix column issues. then it take the last saved and try to resize column types and sizes to that.

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 16:31:37 »
I can't replicate the column-resizing issue in 2215...  ???

In fact, I have not managed to break anything yet :)

Good job, Mathias!

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 11:58:41 »
Thanks for the reply Mathias
Having rebooted the PC it now seems less likely to 'spring' to a new size when accessing sub-folders etc.
I was also able to drag the columns back to the way I'd had them previously without them springing to a different width when I released the mouse-button.
I saved the layout as default & it is behaving now.
Guess Windoze wanted to mess me around!

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 00:16:22 »
Guess Windoze wanted to mess me around!

Micro$oft is very good at that  ;)

Mathias is much kinder :)

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 20:52:53 »
Filesystem scan
1. Enter %windir% (or very "big" folder with thousands of files) in both panels
2. Enable Flat View in one panel (e.g. left) and then in other (right).
3. Abort file scanning in the first (left)
Result: after operation has been aborted both panels become empty.

Language
1. "Show filesystem log" string in Core settings seems to be hardcoded.
2. There is a popup menu in the settings. Strings "Load presets" and "Revert value to default" seem to be hardcoded. And these functions don't work

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 21:55:17 »
Filesystem scan
1. Enter %windir% (or very "big" folder with thousands of files) in both panels
2. Enable Flat View in one panel (e.g. left) and then in other (right).
3. Abort file scanning in the first (left)
Result: after operation has been aborted both panels become empty.

Yes I know. It is a very special corner case..  ESC is a global  'stop everything now'.  that stops everything so both panel abort.
And it causes a blank screen.. but a refresh will make everything good again

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 14:37:45 »
From the 6.4 RC Notes:
(Note : If you have issues, You can in settings enable the old filesystem scanning engine)

I cannot find this setting anywhere...

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 14:51:23 »
From the 6.4 RC Notes:

I cannot find this setting anywhere...

Explorer Panel settings..  First tab (display), Last section (tweaking)

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 16:43:03 »
Thanks Mathias.

My bad - I forgot to extract the *_def.xml files from the portable zip ::)

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 10:29:12 »
Sometimes it show every folder double 2 times and than are the panels empty and today it sent a crash report after showing every folder 2 times.
Example for what i mean with folder 2 times on display.
Folder1
Folder1
Folder2
Folder2

In the Alpha Version deleting in protected folders didnt work, but it seems this is fixed now.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 11:32:05 »
Sometimes it show every folder double 2 times and than are the panels empty and today it sent a crash report after showing every folder 2 times.
Example for what i mean with folder 2 times on display.
Folder1
Folder1
Folder2
Folder2
That is kind of impossible to fix without more information on when that happens.
What OS, Where is the location, local hd, network ? ftp, other,  is there something else going on in that folder (like is another process creating files/folder at the same time)
Is you system extra fast or extra slow ?
You can also enable filesystem scanning logging in core settings.. there might be error shown why it happens there.

** Added **
Also when you see it again.  Right click on the column header , Select Add Column > More >
Then add the column named "Extended - (Internal FileItemInfo)"
This will show some strange value in a extra column.. What I would like to know is if the values it shows are the same for the items that are duplicates.
eg. if both items named "Folder1" have the same or different values in that column

In the Alpha Version deleting in protected folders didnt work, but it seems this is fixed now.
Strange.. Because nothing around that have changed, but it can depend on what folder it was. some "protected" folders can't even be deleted by admin.
and if another process have that file/folder in use it is also be possible to delete it.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 14:11:35 by Mathias (Author) »

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 17:14:19 »
Matthias, can you provide a screenshot of the "duplicate folder" problem?

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 11:01:45 »
Quote from: Mathias (Author)
hat is kind of impossible to fix without more information on when that happens.
It happens only on my acer aspire one. My A6-6310 was destroyed by a corrupt PSU of a USB 3.0 HUB, therefore i used the netbook for working. OS is Win10 64 bit. Maybe this is not easy to reproduce, but it sent a error report...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:18:01 by Matthias515566 »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 11:05:21 »
I think it is fixed. There was before a very rare timing issue where this could happen. but that should not be possible anymore.
So if you see it again after version 6.4.3 let me know