Author Topic: MC does not show all my Mapped Network drives  (Read 9765 times)

doglover3920

• View Profile
MC does not show all my Mapped Network drives
« on: July 21, 2016, 11:20:03 »
Upon opening MC, Not all my network drives are shown.
Agreed some may not be available at the time of opening.  But later on most will be.
In Windows Explorer they are shown with a red cross in front of.
See the attached screenshots.

In Exporer when I click on the network drive with a red-cross (and when it is available at that time) the drive will connect and open.
However in MC, since they are missing this is not possible.

In MC, I can open these network drives, by clicking on Network and open the shared volume.
It mounts then  as a network drive with a name like //UBUNTU
This is sort of a solution.  But I prefer the that all mapped drives are shown and they connect when they become availble when I click on it.

I tried al three settings in the Network configfuration, but cannnot detect any difference.

Hope there is a solution.

Willy

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:21:41 by doglover3920 »

doglover3920

• View Profile
Re: MC does not show all my Mapped Network drives
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 17:55:36 »
Still no solution

The registry entry was already present.
Tried all 3 settings in Network.

Nothing seem to help to get the "not connected" mapped drives to show up in MC.

By thinkering around with Windows setting, I got it this far that all the "connected" network mapped drives show up.  This was not the case before.
However the "not connected" keep on missing in MC.  In Explorer they show up nicely - with a red cross.

Willy

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 19:55:01 »
MC gets the list of available drives from Windows. But Windows does not consider disconnected drives as available.

What you see in Explorer is an aggregations of a lot of different things.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 19:56:55 by Mathias (Author) »

doglover3920

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 21:46:57 »
But Windows does not consider disconnected drives as available.

OK.  They are not available.  But why do they not show up as unavailable drives?
They show up in Freecommander, Total Commander and Explorer.

The mapped drives in the screenshots above are from my laptop, which is not always on.  This laptop runs on UBUNTU.

On the other hand Freecommander has a much more severe problem.
When a mapped drive from my laptop is open in Freecommander, and I switch off my laptop, so the map drive is not available anymore, Freecommander freezes up for a long time trying to access the now unavailable drive again.
This was the first thing I tried in MC.  Luckily it does not suffer from this problem.

What you see in Explorer is an aggregations of a lot of different things.
Is not possible to do something similar? 
I know that the API for network drives is hopeless spaghetti mess in Windows, but nevertheless I hope something can be done.
The drives will be unavailable, and remain unavailable until the laptop s switched on.  But at least a placeholder which connects to the drive when we click onto it would help.  Of course it should not try for ever, just in case you click onto it accidentally (ot it will suffer from the same problem as Freecommander).

Can you not pin these placeholders like you do with the entries in the Network item.

Willy

PS: I scoured the forum, and this problem came up in few other postings.  I tried all the "solutions" but none solved the problem.
Register key
Administrator rights
No administrator rights
Remapping the drives

doglover3920

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 09:35:39 »
Found a solution to my my problem.

Created a couple of links to the mapped drives which are not loaded automatically.
Clicking onto link will re-establish the connection.

However with the new version 2222 it seems that MC suffers now from the same problem as Freecommander.
If you have a mapped drive open, and this drive goes away (because you shut down the PC on which this drive was located),  MC hangs and is unresponsive.

Willy

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 10:01:24 »
However with the new version 2222 it seems that MC suffers now from the same problem as Freecommander.
If you have a mapped drive open, and this drive goes away (because you shut down the PC on which this drive was located),  MC hangs and is unresponsive.

That is not new..
I even get that in windows explorer. and old versions
Windows does not know that the remote server have gone down. So if it cant access a remote location it will retry for a while because it can be slow network. Windows don't know what happened on the other side.
After a while it will timeout and return error