Author Topic: Multi Commander 6.5 BETA  (Read 75828 times)

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Commander 6.5 BETA
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2016, 19:05:51 »
Thanks for that!

I have managed to crash Build 2298 (but in an - admittedly - unusual way ;) )...

I created an expermental tab session with only C: on the left and D: on the right pane and saved it as "Root Tabs".  It showed correctly in slot #2.

I then switched back to Session #1 with Ctrl+I, Ctrl+1, but - by accident - hit Ctrl+I, Ctrl+2 (ie., the new session hotkey for the newly-created session in slot #2).  A crash report was created & sent to you & (of course) MC exited "ungracefully".

I realise that this sequence of events will not normally happen, but users do the strangest things ;)  And that is what Beta testing is all about.

Please take a look at the report & let me know if you need more info.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2016, 19:41:36 »
Thanks for that!

I have managed to crash Build 2298 (but in an - admittedly - unusual way ;) )...

I created an expermental tab session with only C: on the left and D: on the right pane and saved it as "Root Tabs".  It showed correctly in slot #2.

I then switched back to Session #1 with Ctrl+I, Ctrl+1, but - by accident - hit Ctrl+I, Ctrl+2 (ie., the new session hotkey for the newly-created session in slot #2).  A crash report was created & sent to you & (of course) MC exited "ungracefully".

I realise that this sequence of events will not normally happen, but users do the strangest things ;)  And that is what Beta testing is all about.

Please take a look at the report & let me know if you need more info.

Damn,, I will fix that.. You dont have to access via shortcut. It will fail when trying to access any newly created.
Workaround is to go into TabSessionmanager and do any change so it is resaved (And it is then reload.. that that fixes it) or restart MC.

*edit*
I will actually push out a new release with this fixed asap (2299). Since it kind of breaks the new feature that should be tested :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 19:49:52 by Mathias (Author) »

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2016, 23:19:42 »
Thank you my friend - so far, so good in 2299 :)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 13:36:20 »
Thanks Mathias.  I will try defining an advanced filter.
I have a MS mouse & although I do not use the feature it has 'gesture' capability & I wondered if it somehow was being called when MC is active for some reason.  So I am going to mess with drivers for a bit ;)

Im not sure how the gesture thing works.. I don't think so..

Realized that I should probably have posted these msgs in the other thread :(

I spent some time with the MS drivers & with this latest 2299 build & different intellipoint drivers the problem has gone away.  Hopefully it is *fixed* now!
I can now get back to causing trouble with the MC scripting  :D

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 15:39:56 »
I noticed new icons for folders, and they are cool! Implement them in the release :)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 16:28:51 »
I noticed new icons for folders, and they are cool! Implement them in the release :)

No. There are no new icons.
The Icons for folders comes from Windows. It is the icon that Windows gives MC when MC ask for the icon for that item.

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 16:35:48 »
Well, maybe it's because I use MC on both Win7 and Win10, and Win10 icons look sleeker, what I've never noticed)

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 20:37:35 »
-- Build 2276  - 22-Okt-2016
  ADDED - Tweak settings for ExplorerPanel : "Send file to commandline field also takes the input focus"
  ADDED - ExplorerPanel send current item to command line field (Ctrl+Return / Ctrl+Shift+Return)
          will now add trailing slash to folders and only quote characters if it have spaces

Thanks Mathias, that is exactly what I requested and what I need.

BTW, still waiting for correct handling of *.cmd in command line bar and the possibility to send the directory of left or right (resp. above or buttom) panel directly to the command line. Due to this missing features I use MC actually only at home not at work.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 15:02:08 »
Just updated to b2301 & my weird selection thing  (http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,1877.0.html) has returned. :(

There is one other odd thing that seems to be happening - when clicking back - MC normally goes to the last selected file/folder, now it might decide to go up a level to the root above instead. 
Think this has happened 5 times out of 10 today from the same folder with <200 files to one above with >100 folders - not very clear as to why.  It is the same folder that is generating my selection problem though.  ???

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 16:03:52 »
Just updated to b2301 & my weird selection thing  (http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,1877.0.html) has returned. :(

There is one other odd thing that seems to be happening - when clicking back - MC normally goes to the last selected file/folder, now it might decide to go up a level to the root above instead. 
Think this has happened 5 times out of 10 today from the same folder with <200 files to one above with >100 folders - not very clear as to why.  It is the same folder that is generating my selection problem though.  ???

There is almost no change between 2301 and previous.. so it can be because of that.

But if it does back all the way to the root then something told MC that it did not have access to scan the current path anymore, and it will revert path to a path that it have access to.

Or if it is just what item in focus that are changing then maybe you uncheck the option "Remember file/Folder in focus when changing path" ?   (ExplorerPanel Settings > Display (tab) > Selection and Checking of items (section)

(You can also try to turn off auto refresh when MC is reactivated.  In Settings > FileSystem (Tab) > Tweaking (section) , Unhceck "Refresh tabs when application focus is returned to MC" However that can make it so some tabs some times are not refresh when you expect it it. You then have to press F2/F5 (refresh) your self) )

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 16:23:03 by Mathias (Author) »

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2016, 16:04:38 »
Thanks for the reply Mathias.

I only needed to Unhceck "Refresh tabs when application focus is returned to MC"  to match your suggestions. 
So far it has not randomly jumped again today. 
It started jumping about in folders containing mixed files & folders after I posted, the example I gave originally was files only in a nested folder.
This reminded me of something that had happened a few builds back that had been fixed.

This may be unrelated to the build but this is very noticeable also (it came & went a few builds back if you recall) - why would a script slow down folder navigation (hold focus) & can I do anything about it?
eg I have a script to rename & move a file.----

If I simply move the file I can immediately navigate away from the folder whilst the process occurs. 
Today I noticed that I must now wait until the copy/move op is completely finished before I can navigate away up the tree.

Is it the mix of MC custom command & script perhaps?
This is my button script:-

Code: [Select]
Log( 1, 10, "Renaming files to %%parent_folder_name%%[_N].*" );

@var $src_path = GetSourcePath();
@var $arr = PathGetParts( $src_path );
@var $name = $arr[0];
@var $prefix = StrReplace( PathGetPathPart( $src_path, 1 ), $name, "" );

@var $n = StrRFind( $prefix, "\\" );

if ( $n > 0 )
{
  $prefix = StrSub( $prefix, $n + 1, StrLen( $prefix ) - $n - 1 );

@var $i;
  @var $s;
  @var $file;
  @var $files;

$arr = GetSourceSelectedPaths();

for ( $i = 0; $i < arrayCount( $arr ); $i++ )
  {
    $file = $arr[$i];
    $s = PathGetFileExtPart( $file );
    $name = $prefix + "*" + $s;

$files = FindFiles( $src_path + $name );
    $n = arrayCount( $files );

if ( $n == 0 )
    {
      $s = "";
    }
    else
    {
      if ( $n == 1 )
      {
        $s = $files[0]; 
        RenameFile( $s, StrReplace( $name, "*", "_0" ), "RENAME_RO" );
      }

$s = "_" + numtostr( $n );
    }           

RenameFile( $file, StrReplace( $name, "*", $s ), "RENAME_RO" );
  }
}
else
{
  Log( 1, 10, "It seems parent folder is root. Renaming impossible." );
}

// move

@var $arr1 = GetSourceSelectedPaths();
@var $items1 = arrayCount($arr1);
@var $MoveNameFullPath;
@var $targetPath;
@var $sourceFile;
@var $n1 = 0;

for( $n1 = 0; $n1 < $items1; $n1++ )
{
  $MoveNameFullPath = $arr1[ $n1 ];
  $targetPath = GetTargetPath();
  $sourceFile = $MoveNameFullPath;

MoveFile( $targetPath, $sourceFile, "NODIALOG");

}

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2016, 21:47:28 »
This may be unrelated to the build but this is very noticeable also (it came & went a few builds back if you recall) - why would a script slow down folder navigation (hold focus) & can I do anything about it?
eg I have a script to rename & move a file.----

If I simply move the file I can immediately navigate away from the folder whilst the process occurs. 
Today I noticed that I must now wait until the copy/move op is completely finished before I can navigate away up the tree.

Is it the mix of MC custom command & script perhaps?
This is my button script:-

Code: [Select]
Log( 1, 10, "Renaming files to %%parent_folder_name%%[_N].*" );

@var $src_path = GetSourcePath();
@var $arr = PathGetParts( $src_path );
@var $name = $arr[0];
@var $prefix = StrReplace( PathGetPathPart( $src_path, 1 ), $name, "" );

@var $n = StrRFind( $prefix, "\\" );

if ( $n > 0 )
{
  $prefix = StrSub( $prefix, $n + 1, StrLen( $prefix ) - $n - 1 );

@var $i;
  @var $s;
  @var $file;
  @var $files;

$arr = GetSourceSelectedPaths();

for ( $i = 0; $i < arrayCount( $arr ); $i++ )
  {
    $file = $arr[$i];
    $s = PathGetFileExtPart( $file );
    $name = $prefix + "*" + $s;

$files = FindFiles( $src_path + $name );
    $n = arrayCount( $files );

if ( $n == 0 )
    {
      $s = "";
    }
    else
    {
      if ( $n == 1 )
      {
        $s = $files[0]; 
        RenameFile( $s, StrReplace( $name, "*", "_0" ), "RENAME_RO" );
      }

$s = "_" + numtostr( $n );
    }           

RenameFile( $file, StrReplace( $name, "*", $s ), "RENAME_RO" );
  }
}
else
{
  Log( 1, 10, "It seems parent folder is root. Renaming impossible." );
}

// move

@var $arr1 = GetSourceSelectedPaths();
@var $items1 = arrayCount($arr1);
@var $MoveNameFullPath;
@var $targetPath;
@var $sourceFile;
@var $n1 = 0;

for( $n1 = 0; $n1 < $items1; $n1++ )
{
  $MoveNameFullPath = $arr1[ $n1 ];
  $targetPath = GetTargetPath();
  $sourceFile = $MoveNameFullPath;

MoveFile( $targetPath, $sourceFile, "NODIALOG");

}

The scripts are run in the same thread so the UI. so the control is not returned back to the UI until the script have finished.

Running the script in the background is possible. But it is not officially supported since you really need to understand threads and the issues with them and race condition.
For example If the script you have above was run in the background.  what would happen if you during the execution of the script moved focus to another tab or location ?
The GetTargetPath() would all of a sudden would to start to return a different path.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 21:51:49 by Mathias (Author) »

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 16:45:59 »
The scripts are run in the same thread so the UI. so the control is not returned back to the UI until the script have finished.

Running the script in the background is possible. But it is not officially supported since you really need to understand threads and the issues with them and race condition.
For example If the script you have above was run in the background.  what would happen if you during the execution of the script moved focus to another tab or location ?
The GetTargetPath() would all of a sudden would to start to return a different path.

Ahaa.  That makes sense. Thanks for the info Mathias :)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 18:36:57 »
Strange filter behavior

(Using b2303 w7x64)
I set up an advanced filter for folders >1mb made within the last 2 days, (In the file matching tab I have only the default entry of *).  See pic.
If folders have been size calculated the filter works but when I click 'show all' or enter *.* manually, I get nothing displayed in the pane.   ???
Using F5 or the 'refresh' icon does nothing.  I can only re-display the items in the pane by navigating away & then back.
Broken?