Author Topic: MC causes BSOD on remote machine  (Read 9124 times)

Suncatcher

• View Profile
MC causes BSOD on remote machine
« on: January 07, 2017, 16:52:03 »
This is rather critical problem because of which I still cannot omit using Explorer  :)
I noticed connection of this problem with MC from the very beginning but decided to make additional testing, and now I can finally confirm that this BSOD is caused by MC.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Connect to RDP session to remote Win10 Anniversary machine
2. Open MC
3. Open in left tab redirected local storage from host machine

4. Initiate a copy operation
5. Receive a dump

And yes, I took the screenshot from Web again, because I'm not wanna bothering myself shooting real dump with camera  :) My error is 0x00000027

I use RDP-redirected storage extensively and have never experienced similar in Explorer. 

Further details about error can be get here, 'cause I'm not gonna cross-post here possibly irrelevant stuff.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: MC causes BSOD on remote machine
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 17:17:35 »
Sorry, But If you get a BSOD then you got driver issus or other HW issues. (often driver)
Not sure why you use a screenshot that is not from you. because then it is useless.
the stopcode information is the only useful info on the BSOD screen. the one that in the screenshot say CRITICAL_PROCES_DIED
but since the screenshot is not from you, that is probably not the same for you. Often it say what driver that caused the crash.
or some hit of it. Sometimes you can find that info in the windows event log. but sometimes it crashed faster then it was enable to log that. (depends on what issue it was)

However. MC is a user mode program. And when you get a BSOD something went bad in the Windows kernel.
A User mode program can not cause a BSOD. Only when a critical error happen inside the Windows Kernel a BSOD is happening.
And no code from MC is run in the kernel. MC possibly call some windows API, Windows does something. load some driver, send data via some HW driver and something happens that it cant correct for and it result in a BSOD. It is out of the control of MC.

(If you can make this happen on more then 1 machine. you should report this to MS, because then it might be a bug in Windows.)

I use MC with RDP with Win10 a lot with no issue. so this is not a generic issue with rdp and win10.

(Doing a quick search online.  that kind of BSOD is very very common. )

Edit
Looks like this is a know bug in Windows. and MS have tried to fix it. But it is not fixed yet.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/26691ffa-7b9c-4691-9639-03156a0c6215/windows-10-crashed-when-accessing-tsclient-path-from-remote-desktop-via-far-manager?forum=win10itprosecurity
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 18:39:26 by Mathias (Author) »

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 19:13:41 »
Not sure why you use a screenshot that is not from you. because then it is useless.
the stopcode information is the only useful info on the BSOD screen. the one that in the screenshot say CRITICAL_PROCES_DIED
but since the screenshot is not from you, that is probably not the same for you. Often it say what driver that caused the crash.
Yes, the stopcode info is the only useful info so I wrote it explicitly RDR_FILE_SYSTEM, except this thing my screenshot is exactly the same.
Undoubtedly this is a MS bug, but maybe you misuse some API method in MC? I never experienced this in explorer.

I use MC with RDP with Win10 a lot with no issue. so this is not a generic issue with rdp and win10.
You just used or tried to make copy host2remote and remote2host?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 19:22:28 »
Yes, the stopcode info is the only useful info so I wrote it explicitly RDR_FILE_SYSTEM, except this thing my screenshot is exactly the same.
Undoubtedly this is a MS bug, but maybe you misuse some API method in MC? I never experienced this in explorer.
Nope.  but Windows Explorer is not really constraint to the same API as 3rd party devs. And they do lots of other stuff.
But it does not matter, it is a Windows Bugs.  and a serious one, because a user mode program should not be able to take down a machine like that.
Seams to be some sort of SMB 3 issue when it is redirected over RDP.  On one forum they said it worked if they limited SMB to SMB 2.x but that seams like a bad solution.

You just used or tried to make copy host2remote and remote2host?
yes it works. But I notice that the one I connect to is Windows 10 insider preview edition. So it might be fixed in that.

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 19:25:44 »
OK, will wait the fix.