Author Topic: Folder duplication  (Read 9096 times)

Suncatcher

• View Profile
Folder duplication
« on: May 12, 2017, 14:35:33 »
I observe this bug very often.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Folder duplication
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 16:04:32 »
What are happening on the system when this is happening. ( is  a lot of files added/removed from outside of mc. or something else that cause lots of rescans of the filesystem`?)
is there anything in the log windows in mc ?
Fast / slow drive ?, XP ?
A force refresh should fix it since it is a timing issues, it is just a visualization issue.. But I have never been able to recreate it

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 16:16:30 »
is  a lot of files added/removed from outside of mc.
I wouldn't say so, just routine work. My work is not connected with file-management or processing big data amounts.

something else that cause lots of rescans of the filesystem`?

Maybe. I don't run any highly-specialized software, like 3D-rendering packages or torrent clients on this drive.
This is a system drive and some software may extensively utilize storage implicitly, of which I am not aware.

Definitely not XP  :D It is SSD and Win10 x64 pro.

A force refresh should fix it since it is a timing issues, it is just a visualization issue.. But I have never been able to recreate it

When it happened, even MC restart doesn't help. It just goes away after a while.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 17:59:22 »
is  a lot of files added/removed from outside of mc.
I wouldn't say so, just routine work. My work is not connected with file-management or processing big data amounts.

something else that cause lots of rescans of the filesystem`?

Maybe. I don't run any highly-specialized software, like 3D-rendering packages or torrent clients on this drive.
This is a system drive and some software may extensively utilize storage implicitly, of which I am not aware.

Definitely not XP  :D It is SSD and Win10 x64 pro.

When it happened, even MC restart doesn't help. It just goes away after a while.

Restart? no Refresh...   pressing the Refresh icon or hotkey for it. that rescan the folder.
if that does not work then something is really strange,
you got lots of tabs opened showing same location ?

Also in Core settings in the log tab you can turn on the FileSystem Logging. and you can see if you get any error there.. But it can be very talky..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 18:01:54 by Mathias (Author) »

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 18:06:16 »
Restart? no Refresh...
Yes, exactly restart. I think restart is more hard option than resfresh dirs.

you got lots of tabs opened showing same location ?

Didn't pay attention on that. Will monitor the conditions next time it happens. And will take the log.

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 18:15:24 »
Just checked log writing and this happened again, exactly at the moment I dug into the log folder. In the C:\Users\Suncatcher
Here is the filesystem log.
This time restart helped, refresh did not. Maybe I was mistaken about restart, will monitor further.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 19:15:25 »
Just checked log writing and this happened again, exactly at the moment I dug into the log folder. In the C:\Users\Suncatcher
Here is the filesystem log.
This time restart helped, refresh did not. Maybe I was mistaken about restart, will monitor further.

No, refresh, not restart..  If refresh does not work for you then something is extra weird with your system, it should work. refresh flush cache and rescan the filesystem.
It works for everybody else when that issues is seen. so then something else must be causing it for you..  super weird..

Sorry, but the log do not tell me much since I do not know what happens when, and what happens when you do refresh and things..
Only you can use it as a hint to find why it is happening.. Thats why it is not enabled by default.. The log is really not for normal users.

Sorry, but this must be very very timing based. And should not be possible, I never been able to recreate it. and I can't say why it is happening for you.
Some very unique condition is happening on your setup.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 19:26:04 by Mathias (Author) »

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 16:32:16 »
New occurrence. Just when I was heading to logs it happened  :)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 16:54:20 »
New occurrence. Just when I was heading to logs it happened  :)

Yes I know it can happen. I have never been able to recreate it. And without being able to recreate it is kind of impossible to figure out why it is happening.
But a Refresh should rebuild the view and fix it. If a refresh does not fix it. like I said, then something is super extra weird. because a force refresh is flushing cache and everything.
The issue is because it tries to scan and update the view while it is already just scanned and is updating the view. so the result of both scans end up into the cache,
It should not be possible. There are locks for it, But since everything is threaded there is some very very small timing issue somewhere where it happen. And it only happen if everything is just right (or wrong). so 99.9% of all user will never see it, even if they try.

So, Yes I know it can happen, in very rare situation, and it will probably not be fixed soon since I can't recreate it   :(
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 16:57:27 by Mathias (Author) »