Author Topic: Dialog sizing & columns  (Read 30506 times)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
Dialog sizing & columns
« on: June 12, 2017, 13:28:15 »
I have noticed that since 7.3 bd2532 I need to use the 'restore columns' command after every reboot & in most/all tabs.
Additionally the mass-rename dialog will not save its' state.
This is a bit annoying for long names as it shifts the column width back to the left (see pic) & shrinks the whole dialog to a default size window everytime I re-open it.  ::)

Just me?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Dialog sizing & columns
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 14:44:35 »
The MultiRename window do not remember sizes and never have. And it might do it in the future, but not now

For the normal list explorer panel.. there are some changes there.. but I can see any issue where it does not keep the size..
What column settings are you using  autoresize column on ? other settings ..  added any special columns ?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 14:46:35 by Mathias (Author) »

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 14:26:26 »
Thanks for reply Mathias.
Hmmm well I previously had a rename dialog which would make some allowance for name string length when it opened....it always seemed to anyway.
These 2 pics show what I have now vs what I *remember* having before.  One squashed to left + one as I expect it to be.

Pic 3 - This is the setting for my columns, I made it global default once I had my widths set.  ('Details' view is my default option.)
I have found in the past that columns would resize, (ref - http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,1919.msg7298.html#msg7298) this is the first time I've had it really scrambled & sometimes adding whitespace on the right squashing the other columns randomly. 

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 16:37:31 »
Pic 3 - This is the setting for my columns, I made it global default once I had my widths set.  ('Details' view is my default option.)
I have found in the past that columns would resize, (ref - http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,1919.msg7298.html#msg7298) this is the first time I've had it really scrambled & sometimes adding whitespace on the right squashing the other columns randomly.

I can't make the explorer panel mess up anything with columns. And that is just the default columns (?)
And not entire sure what you mean size issue you see..
Before, in some situation the name columns should move 25px  (or the width of the vertical scrollbar)  and the other column would get their share of that size to even the columns out if starting up with a folder that had vertical scroll.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 12:39:38 »
Thanks Mathias, these are 2 pics of MC after startup (+cold boot), #1 is how it loaded, #2 is how it is once I rmb & 'restore'.
This time it isn't much but it is still something I don't think should occur + I haven't resized the main window.

For the rename dialog - the pics in the post above show that the column width divider goes far left as default, previously it would be more like a 50/50 split between the old & new name fields.  Now I have a big whitespace field that is irritating for long name view.

I wonder if it is related to the VGA driver, I know sometimes a 'tweak' by the manufacturer in there can be a root cause of dialog draw issues. 
I updated that recently, now using nvda 382.53-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:42:01 by Ulfhednar »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 14:15:55 »
The column are almost identical.. Might be because the last column is so small to begin with so that cause some issue..

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:02:22 »
Unfortunately those few pixels make a lot of difference with some of my long filenames...
Isn't saving a default supposed to be a persistent setting? 
The window position & size is persistent between closing down/reboot, as are my open tabs.  But not my column width settings  :-\

Here's the same window opened after clean boot (so settings should be saved)  'whitespace' appeared on some tabs columns.  I have yet to discern a fixed pattern to this behavior, it isn't always the same tabs & sometimes they are all OK.   :o ::)

I can see this isn't the end of the world but it is curious & maybe a symptom of something you &/or I need to look at. 
Thanks for your time Mathias ;)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 12:29:48 »
Unfortunately those few pixels make a lot of difference with some of my long filenames...
Isn't saving a default supposed to be a persistent setting? 
The window position & size is persistent between closing down/reboot, as are my open tabs.  But not my column width settings  :-\
It normally does.. Depending on what you do and stuff.

Here's the same window opened after clean boot (so settings should be saved)  'whitespace' appeared on some tabs columns.  I have yet to discern a fixed pattern to this behavior, it isn't always the same tabs & sometimes they are all OK.   :o ::)
If you get whitespace then autosize is probably not on.. Then it will not try to do any auto sizing to make sure all size is used and nothing goes past the end.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 12:47:49 »
OK thanks Mathias.
I will see if toggling autoresize helps.  Had thought that might override the 'saved' layout.

Was it ever possible to save the column size in the rename dialog?  It will save dimensions when being resized but always shrinks columns far left regardless of size/position on close :(

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 12:49:57 »
MultiRename windows never saves any column sizes