Author Topic: Saving tabs on OS shutdown  (Read 8091 times)

bison

• View Profile
Saving tabs on OS shutdown
« on: July 25, 2017, 13:15:48 »
Hi,

I have MC set to "Minimize to tray instead of closing" and hence it stays open the whole time I have my computer running. However I find when I shutdown my computer the tabs I have open are not saved. It will only load the tabs from when I physically when to File > Exit not when a OS (forced) shutdown occurs. Is there any way fix this or is it just the nature of having this setting enabled? Is there an AutoSave feature that could save the tabs in the background every few mins?

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Saving tabs on OS shutdown
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 18:03:40 »
@bison

FWIW, it is bad practice to shut down a PC without closing all open apps...   :-\

bison

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 23:39:35 »
@bison

FWIW, it is bad practice to shut down a PC without closing all open apps...   :-\

:) Yes I know - its more of a gripe around the implementation of the "Minimize to tray instead of closing". Not only does it disable the window close button (instead of minimizing to tray) but you would expect if it is in the systray a system shutdown would result in MC saving its settings before exiting. I'm sure no one goes through all their systray apps and closes them all individually before shutting down their PC?

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 12:10:13 »
I'm sure no one goes through all their systray apps and closes them all individually before shutting down their PC?

You are right, of course.  I should have read more carefully before posting. Apologies  :-[

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 16:09:00 »
I done some changes for the next beta that might, maybe solve this. Problem is that when the app is hidden (minimized the windows close/shutdown message is not sent to the app in a normal way).  But a force shutdown is now done when this is detected. And if MC is doing anything life copy files they are just aborted, instead of hanging the app.

bison

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 20:39:50 »
Ok great - its more about ensuring any open are saved as oppose to aborting any file operations. Hopefully it makes it into the stable channel soon.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 22:47:54 »
 I just explained for everybody what the change effect.. if copy are active.. they can hang the shutdown since in that state it cannot show UI