Author Topic: "Remember split size between restarts" problem  (Read 7985 times)

Tom L

• View Profile
"Remember split size between restarts" problem
« on: August 18, 2017, 23:41:11 »
When I set the panel split size to 100/0 and then check "Remember split size between restarts" in the Configuration- Core Settings window, the next time I open Multi Commander (x64) v7.5 (build 2381), I get what measures out to be about 83/17 instead of the requested 100/0.  The same thing happens in reverse for a 0/100 setting.  The configuration setting does remember the 25/75, 50/50, and 25/75 splits properly.

Is there a way to get the 100/0 split remembered correctly? If not, does anyone know of a workaround, such as perhaps some kine of startup command switch or anything else?  I hardly ever need or use a split window, and so it's a nuisance having to change the default of 50/50 to 100/0 every time I open the file manager.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: "Remember split size between restarts" problem
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:19:00 »
That it does not save a  0/100 or 100/0 layout is actually by design.

MC is not design to be used like that. Active panel is always default source and the other panel is always the default target.
And even if you hide the other panel it is still here. Since it is not really hidden. it just be resized to a width of 0.
And lots of commands and features in MC will act on what is selected and shown in the target panel, and some things will open extensions and things in the target panel side.
And even if it is 'hidden' you can still do thinks to those files without seeing it, and things can go bad.

But if you really really want to use MC like that even if it is not the most optimal way to use it since it is not designed for it.
Then you can change split size using UserDefinedCommand script. and you can execute a UDC command at startup with command line parameters.
But you do it at you own risk.. Should be safe if you know what you are doing.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 12:41:26 »
I can't understand why pressing View> Full Pane Width (F11) is such a problem for some users. Where is a better solution for it? You have already this hotkey F11. Don't need to create a user defined command.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:44:29 by Matthias515566 »

Tom L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 20:08:18 »
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely take your ideas under advisement and consider whether it might be worth changing to a two-panel method.  I'll also check out the command scripting.