Author Topic: FTP file transfer is started in background thread but not in separate connection  (Read 6966 times)

AnW

• View Profile
When FTP file transfer is started you should create a new connection to FTP server. Currently transfer is initiated in connection used to browse server content and as a result you are no longer able to change to new folder (which is not already in cache).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Problem is that it can not be a default behaviour because lots of FTP server do not like if you login multiple times.
And since FTP is handled like a virtual filesystem in MC. it is causing some complexities. So it is not so easy. But I have it on my list. But when I get the time for something like this I don't know.

AnW

• View Profile
I don't use to many different FTP servers but I have to say I have never had any problems with background transfers. Of course it is possible to configure FTP server for only one connection per user but from my experience it is not very common. I'm happy that you have it on your todo list. I also understand that your free time is limited.

I have commercial license for program similar to Multi Commander and I have to say that maybe MC is currently not as polished as commercial alternative but at the same time it has a lot of useful functions which are not available in other products. I'm not sure if I switch from commercial product to MC in the near future, but I'm really impressed with your work.

Delltabico

• View Profile
Nowadays, it is gaining popularity. Including my own interests.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Sorry.  it would require a total rewrite of lots of thing. so I do not see it happening anytime soon.
FTP in MC is something you use if you do not have a dedicated ftp client,  It support the most common features to make it useful if you just need to use FTP sometimes.
MC can never compete with a program that is fully dedicated on being a FTP client. I do not have the resources for that.

But you can go to FTP: again in any tab and login again a second time to the same site .. So the first will be located on 0: and the second on 1:
The you got two connection to the same site