Author Topic: Save open tabs to current tab session on exit  (Read 9047 times)

char101

• View Profile
Save open tabs to current tab session on exit
« on: October 31, 2017, 06:28:02 »
Hi,

Is it possible to save currently open tabs to the currently loaded tab session, on exit, without having to manually save the tab session?

I want to open several multicommander windows, and have each window resume its previous tab sets when it is opened again. Of course each window will have different tab session. But the problem I that I am not sure I will remember to save the session on exit, not to mention it will become a hassle having to repeatedly save the session before closing if that is what I always want.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
Re: Save open tabs to current tab session on exit
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 13:59:17 »
No it is not possible. And for me, i don't need this. I save some sessions only when the session created and never again. If you do the focus in the first line with the parent directory link, the focus will everytime there and a daily saving of tab sessions is obsolete.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 22:18:30 »
I suspect that you have different shortcut to start MC and let it autoload different tabsession ?
Then instead of that you can choose to have different settings for each instance instead.
Then everything is saved when you exit for each instance

With commandline option  /Instance=NAME  it will store separate settings for each session.

(NAME should be any name you want to use to idientify that session with)

char101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 12:19:07 »
I tried running multicommander with the /INSTANCE parameter but it does not seem to work:

I run two instance of multicommander with these commands

multicommander.exe /INSTANCE=test
multicommander.exe /INSTANCE=test2

Then I close both windows. Then I run both commands again. But the multicommander windows that was run with /INSTANCE=test2 does not retain its tab list, instead it opens the same tab list as the first instance that was run with /INSTANCE=test.

char101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:22:19 »
By the way is there a way to run a multiscript just before closing multicommander? That way I can trigger the tabsession saving just before closing.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 12:38:09 »
I tried running multicommander with the /INSTANCE parameter but it does not seem to work:

I run two instance of multicommander with these commands

multicommander.exe /INSTANCE=test
multicommander.exe /INSTANCE=test2

Then I close both windows. Then I run both commands again. But the multicommander windows that was run with /INSTANCE=test2 does not retain its tab list, instead it opens the same tab list as the first instance that was run with /INSTANCE=test.
/INSTANCE do not have anything do to with tabsession..  what it does is to save all configuration under its own instance name.
So using instance instead would be an option instead of using tabsessions

By the way is there a way to run a multiscript just before closing multicommander? That way I can trigger the tabsession saving just before closing.
No not automatic.

I the idea with tabsession it that you want the same setup when ever you start the a tab session.
So for them to be save on exists feels strange. Feel like you trying to solve a problem the wrong way.
I think separate configurations for different instances of MC is a better way to go

char101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 04:21:53 »
Thanks, but using separate configurations pose another problem that I need to sync all other configuration between the installations. What I want is just to persist the open tabs, but since I open a lot of tabs (says 50-100 tabs) I want to split them into different windows and have those windows open/close independently. If this is not possible in multicommander I guess I can use autohotkey to automate it somehow.