Author Topic: Slow Configuration Reading  (Read 7962 times)

IainC

• View Profile
Slow Configuration Reading
« on: November 24, 2017, 18:45:04 »
Under Win 7 Pro x64, Intel i5, 24Gb RAM, with MC 7.5_2381

MC now takes several seconds to 'boot up' initially - while Reading Configuration.  Not so very long ago, it was pretty much instantaneous.
If I close it, then re-open it, there is no appreciable delay.  There aren't any new programs installed recently.  My anti-virus (Kaspersky) isn't updating at the time.  Any advice or suggestions?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Slow Configuration Reading
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 13:04:09 »
Strange.. Normally there is nothing in MC it self that would make it slow..
But if you have lots of opened tabs to a network locations that need to be accessed. witch is slow the first time it happens.
Lots of drives that are sleeping that need to wake up

Most often it is because the computer is busy with other things.
Might be that AV scans the configuration files. and if it is busy scanning other things it can takes some time.
And when loading again it notice that they are not changed.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 13:07:44 by Mathias (Author) »

Jengo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 00:00:20 »
For me the reading of the configuration during the start of the program also takes a few seconds. It happens on multiple different computers and it started some time ago.
The computers’ age and hardware are different but all run Windows 10 Pro x64.

I tried to delete the configuration, but it didn’t help. I tried the portable version, also some older ones (32bit and 64bit) with an empty configuration. And they all take this elongated time to start.

I don’t use any special AV, just the Windows Defender. But deactivating it also doesn’t help.

I tried using Windowse’s Safe Mode, no change.

Here is some information about the “gap” I gathered using Sysinternal’s ProcessMonitor:
Time of DayProcess NamePIDOperationPathResultDetail
23:32:45.6825275MultiCommander.exe788RegCloseKeyHKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume\{[GUID removed]}SUCCESS
23:32:51.2647950MultiCommander.exe788RegQueryKeyHKCUSUCCESSQuery: HandleTags, HandleTags: 0x0

I did the logging multiple times and the gap is always between these two entries.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 16:55:33 »
MC do not mess around with the registry it self..  But it asks windows about drive and volume. and Windows might go out and get that information.

You can try the latest beta and turn on full logging and check the app log at what stage it takes long time.

Jengo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 21:54:24 »
MC do not mess around with the registry it self..  But it asks windows about drive and volume. and Windows might go out and get that information.

You can try the latest beta and turn on full logging and check the app log at what stage it takes long time.

Thanks, for your tip. I enabled the debug logging and found out that the delay was during enumeration of the drive letters. Then I saw that my floppy drive was still active in the device manager even though I have disconnected it. The deactivation in the device manager resolved the delay.