Author Topic: Error saving configuration file  (Read 9439 times)

hpcsc

• View Profile
Error saving configuration file
« on: December 31, 2017, 15:07:24 »
I want to back up MC setting files (C:\Program Files\MultiCommander (x64)\Config\ExplorerPanel.xml and MultiCommander.xml)  to my dotfiles and setup symlink from C:\Program Files\MultiCommander (x64)\Config\ExplorerPanel.xml and MultiCommander.xml to my dotfiles folder

However when I startup MC, I have the error: Error saving configuration file (attachment). When clicking OK button, MC continues like normal and seem like all the settings are correct. Not sure whether this error is due to MC not able to handle symlink for configuration files or any other issues. Also, the settings that I change after starting up MC are not persisted to the next startup (.e.g. disabling tutorial on startup but MC still shows it next time). Could anyone advise on this issue?

I installed MC using chocolatey: choco install multicommander. It doesn't have latest version but version 7.5. But I already updated to latest version

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Error saving configuration file
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 16:08:16 »
Do the MC log files contain any clue?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 16:49:39 »
The config files in Program files are not you personal config files.. that folder is a system folder and is normally write protected
the files in there are the default files used if there is no personal config files.

It might be that the config file you replace with is one from protable setup ? then it tries to save the files in the protected folder.
and it will fail unless the program is running as admin

You config files are located under you user profiles.. 
Type ":goconfig" in MC commandline field to go to the config folder.

hpcsc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 17:10:46 »
@AlanJB: my logs folder is empty

@Mathias: apparently chocolatey installs MC as portable application. When I type :goconfig, it shows me C:\Program Files\MultiCommander (x64)\Config as in attachment. The config files that I have are indeed from a portable setup as well, so it should be compatible

But you are right that it has something to do with permission. If I run MC as admin, there's no error dialog and the setting persists. And subsequent run doesn't need to run as admin (it doesn't complain about config saving anymore). So this issue only happens when the symlink is created first time. Do you know what permission should I set for the symlink?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 18:18:14 »
edit the MultiCommander.xml config file and remove global="1"   at near the top
that is saying to MC to use global config or personal..

If you want to use a writable file in program files then make sure that file is writable by everybody
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 18:24:19 by Mathias (Author) »

hpcsc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 03:53:14 »
I removed global="1" and checked the permissions of the symlink and the target files of symlink (they are almost the same with other configuration files of MC that are not symlinked, except that other configuration files have permission for "All restricted application packages" that I can't find in my computer) but those don't work

So for now I temporarily just put MC in some location that don't require administrator permission. Thanks for your help

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 19:46:45 »
if you remove global="1" it wil NO longer load person config from that folder, But it will be stored under the user profile
so you need to put your symlink there than.

hpcsc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 04:39:11 »
Hi,

Sorry for late reply. Yes, after changing the global="1" value to "0" (remove that attribute doesn't work. I have to set it to 0), I can symlink the files from user profile without any error
Just one more question: where are these settings stored: asking for language when first time setup, showing tips ?
I thought those are stored in (UserProfile)/MultiCommander/SessionConfig/Config/MultiCommander.ini, but it's not. I check in program files folder but can't find also

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 10:56:05 »
I don't understand what you are trying to with the symlinks. But if it works for you then its good.

Yes "AskLanguage" is stored in sessionConfig , if you remove that it will ask for language again,
But you can switch language in core setting page