Author Topic: Problem with 64 Bit Version  (Read 11973 times)

Richard Rut

• View Profile
Problem with 64 Bit Version
« on: January 22, 2018, 15:40:38 »
I download MultiCommander v7.7.0 (Build 2404) both 64 bit and 32 Bit Version. For 32 bit, everything works fine. However, for 64 bit, I can't do anything.

For example, when I hit F6 to move the file, it should have a popup to ask what the destination folder is. None of these showed in 64 bit. I also download the previous version of 64 bit (7.3). I got the same thing. I used surface Pro 4 on windows 10 x64. Please help.

I also can't exit the program. I must use end task to kill the process.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 15:48:15 by Richard Rut »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Problem with 64 Bit Version
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 17:11:55 »
I don't understand why that does not work for you.

No other have reported anything like that. And I got in running my self on around 7 64bit systems,
So the question is what is unique with your setup that cause that to happen

Do the program hang? or is it just that nothing happens but the UI is still responsive ?

Richard Rut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 19:02:05 »
Hi Mathias,

Thank you for a quick reply. is it just that nothing happens. You can click anywhere but nothing to response. Checking on Task Manager. The processes still running.

I notice it looks like the screen shows (Moving file screen) but hiding. I have two monitors. I check everywhere. I hit Windows Logo + Tab but I can't find it.

As I said in the last message, the 32-bit version on this surface is just fine. I have another laptop 64bit (Not Surface). It works perfectly.

Thanks,

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 22:45:50 »
Hmm very stranage, I have no idea how that can happen. There is no reason for that to happen.
I never seen something like that before.
I my self is running 4 monitor, so I don't think it is a multi monitor issue.

Do other dialog windows that popup works in MC ? Like Menu > Configuure > FileTypeSetup  or some other that shows a dialog window

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 22:47:30 by Mathias (Author) »

Richard Rut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 14:28:08 »
BTW, I used Portable version. I can use only 32 bit for this laptop as a workaround. Thank you for your help.

Here is the task manager. The is no freeze just no response.

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 16:43:18 »
Does the MC log (Ctrl+L) show anything useful?

Richard Rut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 18:23:30 »
Hi,

Here are the steps I took:

1. Open MC Portable
2. Hit F6 or F4 to move or copy file
3. MC will stay there no responsive at all
4. Open Task Manager
5. See the Process still running as normal.
6. When I get at to MC again, I click any button and no response (Can't hit CTL + L too).
7. Must End Task to stop the process.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 22:39:51 »
I still can't reproduce it. This is not a common issue.

So something must be unique with your setup. Do you have some unusual security software, settings, Sandboxing ?, Or other thing that make you setup unique compared to others ?
Is it only that dialog or other dialog too ?

If you press ESCAPE key after you pressed F6/F4, does it get responsive (Esc is like pressing cancel in the dialog..)  So then the dialog is invisible some way

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 22:42:03 by Mathias (Author) »

Richard Rut

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 22:47:34 »
Yeah, You are right. It likes dialog is invisible. After ESC, I have controls back. but I look all the place I can't find it.

What that's wired is that there is no problem with 32 bit on the same laptop.

That's ok at least we know the problem. I still can use 32 bit. The MC is great. It saves my time a lot. Great Works. Thanks.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 22:52:52 »
And is it only that dialog or is it the same with other dialogs in MC?
like for example do this dialog work ?    Menu > Configure > FileTypeSetup 

robbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 23:49:52 »
I believe I'm having the same issue with the 64 bit installation on a windows 7 platform.  When I boot MultiCommander, the program runs fine and then after using it a bit to move some files nad folders around and building directories, the functionality seems to disappear.  The problem started a few days ago after months of perfect performance.  I noticed the issue, and updated to the latest build but the problem persisted.  I then did a clean install of the latest 64 bit build form the website.  The program is responsive but none of the hotkeys work.  (F7 for a new dir, F2 to rename, etc.) and performance seems sluggish.

Furthermore, the buttons under the menu toolbar only animate to 'press down' when I click on them and they have to be clicked again to not appear to be pressed (Specifically the button to copy the file path directory).  And the button labels in the 'Button window' seem to be hidden. 

I attached a screenshot of whats happening to the buttons.  Is it some kind of memory issue?  Every other aspect of my computer seems fine so I think its an issue with Multi Commander itself.  And I have no custom scripts or any kind of background process running either.

Should also mention that I can't exit thre program easily; I have to force a shutdown through the task manager and this takes a while to execute.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 06:11:16 »
I believe I'm having the same issue with the 64 bit installation on a windows 7 platform.  When I boot MultiCommander, the program runs fine and then after using it a bit to move some files nad folders around and building directories, the functionality seems to disappear.  The problem started a few days ago after months of perfect performance.  I noticed the issue, and updated to the latest build but the problem persisted.  I then did a clean install of the latest 64 bit build form the website.  The program is responsive but none of the hotkeys work.  (F7 for a new dir, F2 to rename, etc.) and performance seems sluggish.

Furthermore, the buttons under the menu toolbar only animate to 'press down' when I click on them and they have to be clicked again to not appear to be pressed (Specifically the button to copy the file path directory).  And the button labels in the 'Button window' seem to be hidden. 

I attached a screenshot of whats happening to the buttons.  Is it some kind of memory issue?  Every other aspect of my computer seems fine so I think its an issue with Multi Commander itself.  And I have no custom scripts or any kind of background process running either.

Should also mention that I can't exit thre program easily; I have to force a shutdown through the task manager and this takes a while to execute.

No, Not the same issue, That is not dialogs that are not shown. you say it is responsive. Sounds more that somethings else you have running is in conflict with MC.
If all buttons are black then you might be missing the config file for that. or something is blocking it from being read

But if it worked before try a older version (you can use portable version, same .exe as installed version) and if you still got issue with a version had before, then something have changed in the environment that MC is run in. And it can be anything that have been updated.. graphic drivers, other updates or programs that have changed since then

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 06:29:58 by Mathias (Author) »

Richard Rut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 18:15:11 »
 Menu > Configure > FileTypeSetup

This one is fine.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 07:36:56 »
Strange.  Might be that the copy dialog using some standard UI component that is broken on you machine so it fails to show/render the dialog

Richard Rut

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 16:17:04 »
If I double click the folder and I click F4, the Copy dialog will NOT slow.

If I double click the folder, then click any file to highlight the file and click F4, the dialog will show.

It looks like it is working now. I didn't make any change in MC. In the past, when the dialog does not show, I can't exit MC as well.

For this time, I can click anywhere with no problem. I think I am Okay now. Thank you very much for your help for this.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 16:24:54 by Richard Rut »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 22:22:42 »
Very strange. I Have no idea how that can happen.

Hmm
Code: [Select]
"If I double click the folder and I click F4, the Copy dialog will NOT slow."
If you double click on a folder it will enter that folder.. Is the file selected that you want to copy ?
Have you change/ tweaked how the sections works ?