Author Topic: Extremely sloooow refresh  (Read 8815 times)

Suncatcher

• View Profile
Extremely sloooow refresh
« on: February 03, 2018, 13:49:42 »
I encounter this bug quite often in many different occasions. When I copy/delete/pack/unpack something it is seen in Explorer quite good, but MC doesn't see it for a long time. Typically Refresh button helps but not in all cases. You should do something with responsiveness to events in filesystem.
Example: I overwritten the big iso file (which was 3.5Gb and became 3.9Gb). It was recognized in Explorer immediately but in MC - never. On the screenshot the same file is opened simultaneously in Explorer and in MC.
I waited for a long time but without success, maybe after 10 minutes file list was refreshed, I didn't check up.
It is considering that fact that copy/overwrite operation was done via MC, not via Explorer. It is quite shame to observe such slowpokeness.
I can give dozens of such examples, I observe this quite often.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Extremely sloooow refresh
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 15:16:24 »
I have not seen any issues like that in normal operations.
And in some tests I did now I see the opposite. that it is updated faster in MC then in Explorer.

MC is depended on windows to notify MC about when the file system is changed. And if windows is very busy and there is a lot of this file system changes it will not send the notification as often.

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 05:34:41 »
I have not seen any issues like that in normal operations.
And in some tests I did now I see the opposite. that it is updated faster in MC then in Explorer.

MC is depended on windows to notify MC about when the file system is changed. And if windows is very busy and there is a lot of this file system changes it will not send the notification as often.

This bug is still not resolved even after many versions released and it is indeed VERY annoying. The filesize in MC is not updated even 10 minutes after the real update.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 10:48:26 »
I can't reproduce it.

But as I said. MC only auto refresh the view if it receives a notification from windows that the path is changes. MC is not auto rescanning the filesystem every second to check if something changed. That would cause so many other issues. So just waiting for something will not auto refresh it.
If a program is flooded with filesystem change messages faster then a program can handle MC can temporary stop sending them. So maybe that is what happening in you case? not sure.

You can force a refresh by pressing the refresh button/key (F2 or F5) and also it sometimes refreshes if application is reactivate (But depends on time stamp on parent folder)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 17:45:47 »
I have been finding erratic & slow USB recognition/processing for a while with W10, after a lot of messing about it looks like it is related to w10 recent builds & USB drivers.  I have had things working perfectly, w10 update screws it, new drivers come out - fixes it; then w10 breaks it again....

Using different external hubs dramatically changes performance for me when connecting v 1.1 or v2.x to v3 ports.
v3 is supposed to be compatible with v2 but it hasn't been 100% for me this year, last year it was ok & everything was recognised correctly. 
Sometimes now I need to daisy-chain devices with a hub to get recognition/performance. ::)

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 17:49:02 »
Using different external hubs dramatically changes performance for me when connecting v 1.1 or v2.x to v3 ports.

We are not speaking here about USB sluggish performance. The thread was started about local SSD drive refresh issue.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 10:50:28 »

We are not speaking here about USB sluggish performance. The thread was started about local SSD drive refresh issue.

Really? How about stating LOCAL SSD in the POST or TITLE THEN?  Hi-liting .iso doesn't tell anyone where the .iso is.

I can say I have 0 indexing speed problems with the multiple SSD & SSHD drives on this machine when using MC.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:55:07 by Ulfhednar »

Suncatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 11:02:07 »
I can say I have 0 indexing speed problems with the multiple SSD & SSHD drives on this machine when using MC.

And I already changed the second SSD and have the same problem.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 12:32:57 »
As I said above if auto refresh stops. Instead of waiting for it to refresh it self, just hit refresh key to force a refresh.