Author Topic: Jump to Root  (Read 7776 times)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
Jump to Root
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:44:21 »
I was forced to update W10x64 to 1709 & since then I have had a couple of glitches in MC 7.7 b2404 -

- the focus jumps to root of folder when 'back' is used 
(ref:- http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,1864.msg7164.html#msg7164);

- missing icons for 3rd party progs on right click menu (they are present in Explorer).

Any ideas?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Jump to Root
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:52:27 »
What to you mean with 'back'  clicking ".." ? clicking on parent folder in bredcrumb bar ? clicking <- Arrow ?.  Using "backspace" key ? Using Back button on mouse ?

Well the icons MC get from windows.  I have not notice any issue with that, But shell extension can cause a lot of havoc in windows.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 14:26:15 »
Hi Mathias.
I was referring to 'back' mouse button & when double clicking on the <-... at the folder head.
But today it is magically working.  ::)  All last week it was jumping all the way up the tree.

I used ShellExView to inspect my context menu items.  It shows the ones I have issues with in red-hi-lites but not as disabled.  It will not enable them.   ???
Puzzling... :( 

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 13:40:13 »
Back on mouse if (unless you reconfigure it ) like the Back Arrow button in the toolbar.  It is Back in History. not up to parent
So depending on how you navigated to get to your location. Back can be parent but also someplace else

double click on ".." is always go up the file system tree

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 14:59:31 »
The 'back' movement process is behaving now, but I have discovered something about my context menu omissions.
In Win10 Pro x64 if MC is run as Admin a lot of context menu items (3rd party shell exts) disappear, when MC is not run with admin permission they appear as they do when I run win explorer.   ??? :-\

I am logged into Win as admin but Win10 still messes about with permissions so I generally need to run MC as admin.
Eg I cannot drag & drop a file into Handbrake from MC if not in Admin mode.
Any ideas how I can get these things to work at the same time Mathias? (ie all context menu items & full permissions for MC.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 15:04:01 by Ulfhednar »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:20:02 »
MC do not have much control over the context menu. MC get the context menu items from Windows.
Might be that some shell extension are only registered for normal users. so maybe that is why they do not show up when running as admin.

Yes logging in as Administrator is disbaled for a reason. It really bad, Try a normal account with admin permission.
I notice some things do not work on administrator account since they are running in different contexts. Problably becuse of some security reasons.
Might be able to unlock everything in group policy.

You can not drag and drop from a program running in with low permissions to one that is running with high permissions (as admin), it is a security thing in Windows.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 14:40:25 »
Thanks Mathias, I guessed it was probably Win10 & not MC.

I am the only user, my a/c is the passworded <name>/admin a/c.  I have not allowed any other guest etc a/c's. 
Booting without password doesn't give me/anyone full access. 
'Users' group has zero permissions.

So I have full permissions, but programs installed & run by me in this single environment might not....  ::) Not logical or helpful. 

In the example of Handbrake & MC (both running in an admin environment but not admin mode) I can load a file using the 'open source' (browse) dialog, but not drag n drop.  Only possible when MC is in Admin mode.  ??? :o

I think M$ needs to streamline this muddled, contradictory & illogical behavior.  >:(
Full admin control is potentially dangerous but as sole user that should be my call.

Anyway I will keep poking about & see if there is some buried switch that I can use to improve this situation.