Author Topic: How to create or verify a MD5 Checksum?  (Read 9138 times)

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
How to create or verify a MD5 Checksum?
« on: June 03, 2018, 14:25:38 »
I am about downloading Kiwix wikipedia files and they don't work, wanted proof checksum with MC, but it did't work.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: How to create or verify a MD5 Checksum?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 14:41:20 »
You are not giving much information to go on.
What did not work..  what did you do, and so on.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 18:49:31 »
I used the MC Context menu> File Checksum> "Calculate Checksum Value from file" Nothing happens and creating a checksum file gave just a error out.

But i taked another tool for making this checksum. I guess this files have just to be splitted to be used on a 32 bit kiwix. I downloaded it with a android, but this was a file from 17/08.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 09:19:53 »
What kind of error. ? That happens ? I cant reproduce any error with it.

Not sure what you taking about being split and stuff,  calculating checksum just read the entire file and calculate a valued based on the content.
If you split the file in many parts MC have no ide of knowing that.  it reads the file you select
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:21:58 by Mathias (Author) »

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:28:57 »
What kind of error. ? That happens ? I cant reproduce any error with it.
My talking about splitting was off topic. The checksum was ok, i used another tool.

But the MC Tool works not, the error message is "failed".

wikipedia_de_all_novid_2018-05.zim                           -     Failed - Failed to save new file : D:\Downloadsneu\Bildung\Wikipedia\Kiwix\Wikipedia\wikipedia_de_all_novid_2018-05_resized.zim

And when i use "Calculate Checksum value from file" happens nothing, no popup dialog will be opened, no cpu usage in background wil be started. This happens with all files, not only with the zim file. No idea why you can't repeat this.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:40:15 »
I see it will be a wrong tool started when using: "Create .MD5 Checksums File" it is starting another tool: "Resize Pictures". Thats strange.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 12:24:46 »
What?  Hmm In not able to recreate that.. that is weird
Should not be possbile unless you customized the context menu for MC ?  maybe it got corrupted when you did that. (if you edited it) , check if you got a ContextMenu.xml in C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\MultiCommander\Config\  and delete that.

Also you can try calling the command from the menu  Menu > Tools > File Checksum

and if you just want to calculate a checksum to compare the a number you already have (not create a .sfv file) select "Calculate checksum values"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:28:09 by Mathias (Author) »

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 12:30:59 »
check if you got a ContextMenu.xml in C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\MultiCommander\Config\  and delete that.
No i have no ContextMenu.xml there. But i used now the Tools menu, and with this it worked perfectly. But the context menu is broken. Maybe this have several reasons.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 13:12:54 »
If you run portable version it is not there but under the normal config folders.. But I guess you know that.
Only think that cause the context menu to act like that is if the ContextMenu.xml file is broken.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 15:35:28 »
I tested the portable version and it works good with it. Then i restarted my 3 MC instances and it worked very well, can't reproduce the error anymore. I use Windows 10 64 bit Version 1803 (Build 17134.48) and always the power safe mode or hibernation. I guess this have to do with it.