Author Topic: What to do when contents of folder is not displayed?  (Read 6918 times)

daveme7

• View Profile
What to do when contents of folder is not displayed?
« on: June 08, 2018, 04:12:03 »
Am looking at desktop and one file, a Word document is what comes up.

Of course, I have more than one Word document on desktop as well as some other things like folders and programs.

Why are things this way and how do I fix it?

daveme7

• View Profile
Re: What to do when contents of folder is not displayed?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 04:28:14 »
OK, not quite what I reported. It is showing the one file in that "Desktop". For whatever reason I can never figure out except Microsoft wants to enslave us all so there is no rhyme or reason how they make their software-there are two desktops in Windows and only showing the one on Multi Commander. So still need to find this other folder but not sure how to look for it. Thanks-Dave

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 07:38:57 »
Might be that files have hidden or system attribute..  click (or right click for more exact control) on the icon to the right of the color wheel on the toolbar and ebale to system/hidden files are shown

OK, not quite what I reported. It is showing the one file in that "Desktop". For whatever reason I can never figure out except Microsoft wants to enslave us all so there is no rhyme or reason how they make their software-there are two desktops in Windows and only showing the one on Multi Commander. So still need to find this other folder but not sure how to look for it. Thanks-Dave
Yes, The desktop you see in Windows is fake location. What Windows show is the joined content of multiple folders, Where one is your personal desktop folder and other are shared desktop folders. for example for shortcuts that ALL users should have and such. But when you save files. they should go to you personal desktop
When you in MC go to desktop, MC only shown the personal desktop folders since MC point of view is the real filesystem and not the virutal fake view of the system.

Normaly you find other user folders that are included in C:\Users the joined folders are normally the default and public user folders (You Must enable show Hidden/System to see everything in here)

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 11:57:20 »
The Desktop Paths are:

C:\Users\[yourusername]\Desktop\
C:\Users\Public\Desktop\

The Desktop and other User Content Folders can be moved to another Harddrive. Go to your Userfolder and right Click Contextmenu> Properties> Path, Move Content. This is possible because relative Paths.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:01:43 by Matthias515566 »

TimRom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 14:58:32 »
Those desktop paths are the default ones and should be correct if you didn't change anything, right? I'm curious because on one machine this is correct and the other one those folders are not there.