Author Topic: Thumbnails are not shown after long Multicommander runtime  (Read 7606 times)

Kwargs

• View Profile
I almost never do restart my PC or Multicommander and I heavily use thumbnails to preview pictures. My thumbnail settings are

Thumbnail system: Windows (created and cached by Windows) (Win7+)
Picture quality: Bad (Fast)
Crop the thumbnails dimensions to a square: No
Number of threads to use: Auto
Log thumbnail process to application log: no

After multiple hours (I would guess 10 or more), when I try to preview a picture, only the picture Icon is shown. So Multicommander simply does not show thumbnails anymore, although view mode is set to "Thumbnail list". Restarting Multicommander helps.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 13:54:25 by Kwargs »

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thumbnails are not shown after long Multicommander runtime
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 17:27:26 »
The sleepmode, standby, hibernation cause alot problems. Windows XP was a good OS, sometimes i have a dream i going back to Windows XP. Maybe i use in futire the 64 bit Version of Windows XP. It seems Windows 10 gets worse after every update.

Kwargs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 08:31:35 »
True words, I was a fan of Windows 10 but Microsofts bug mess of an update policy is not worthy of an operating system. Do you think it is a Windows 10 issue that cannot be fixed within Multicommander while still keeping the Windows thumbnail system? That would be sad. It may seem like a small issue to most, but it annoys me each day. As a last resort, I may have to write an automatically executed task to restart Multicommander each night, however it would not feel right.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 15:00:12 »
I guess the win 10 1803 need every day a restart. After a restart works the jumping between opened windows faster for example. I go not really back to Win XP, but in Windows XP was never a restart for fixing a issue needed, in Win 10 help a restart again for fixing some errors. It seems this is a step back. If you use much thumbnails, test xnview, this use his own thumbnail database, and loading all thumbnails of a folder and if you scroll, they are already loaded, and scrolling is smoother.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 17:02:19 »
If I'm going to bring it back ontopic. :)

I often do not run with thumbnails unless I work with images. So I have not seen an issue with that in MC. And it is a bit hard to reproduce.
What view mode is you running Thumbnail List or Details ?
Is in any kind if images that are now shown . (like only jpg fail and png works ?) or all image..
What are you doing, Like what kind of files do you have. and any other infromation you can give me on how to setup something to try to reproduce it.

If you enable the logging for thumbnails. And it happens again you might get information in the log if MC get an error from Windows and such.
If it is a caching issue with MC you can in the command line bar type ":ctc"  (clear thumbnail cache) and then do a force refresh.. (F2/F5 depending on key setup)
If that works, then the issue in within the MC caching.

Kwargs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 17:12:16 »
TL;DR of the writeup below: windows disk cleanup -> thumbnails and afterwards F5 in MC and the thumbnails are back. Thus, it is a Windows 10 bug.

What view mode is you running Thumbnail List or Details ?
I am using Thumbnail List.
Is in any kind if images that are now shown . (like only jpg fail and png works ?) or all image..

I tested png and jpg.

What are you doing, Like what kind of files do you have. and any other infromation you can give me on how to setup something to try to reproduce it.
I just try to name anything that comes to my mind but not necessarily needs to be important:

• The issue occurs on at least two computers that I use, both with Windows 10 x64
  • Many folders I use are on external PCs in the same network.
  • I often use view mode "Details" on the left pane and view mode "Thumbnail List" on the right pane.
  • I open a folder in which there are multiple subfolders and no files. Within each of these subfolders, there are at least 3 files of types*.hdf, *.py, *.png. I want to see thumbnails of these *.png - files.
  • Often, I want to skim through all subfolders and see have a quick look at the *.png files. Thus, I select a subfolder and send it to the right pane via the hotkey ctrl+right. On the right pane then, I see the thumbnail.
  • The thumbnail seems to even vanish, i.e. I leave in the evening and a thumbnail of the *.png is shown on the right pane, and in the morning I only see the icon of the file. Windows seems to actively "update" the thumbnail.

If you enable the logging for thumbnails. And it happens again you might get information in the log if MC get an error from Windows and such.
I just did that, let's see.

If it is a caching issue with MC you can in the command line bar type ":ctc"  (clear thumbnail cache) and then do a force refresh.. (F2/F5 depending on key setup)
If that works, then the issue in within the MC caching.
I tried it and it did not help, however you gave me an idea: I used windows disk cleanup to clear the thumbnails. Then pressing F5 gave me back the thumbnails without restarting MC.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 17:15:17 by Kwargs »