Author Topic: Please clarify some colouring and options features  (Read 8954 times)

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
Please clarify some colouring and options features
« on: October 06, 2011, 08:54:24 »
How should 'Auto check files and folders when multi selecting' option exactly work? And how should files/folders be coloured?

I've enabled this option and that's what happens:
1. When holding Shift, files are (un)- checked/marked
2. When holding Ctrl, files are coloured as 'selected', but don't checked/marked (see pic)
But tip for Selected colour says that this colour is never shown if 'Auto check...' option enabled.

By the way, what is the sense of 'Selected' colour?

---

I've 'played' with Explorer a little bit and i may state that MC's 'Explorer styled selection' works the other way than in Explorer. I'll try to explain.

1. Open Explorer an go to path with enough files
2. Set focus to some file and press Shift
3. Now set focus to another file (holding Shift), so that a group of files is selected
4. Now release Shift, press Ctrl and select a file not in the selected group
5. While holding Ctrl, press Shift and select another file, so you have the 2nd group selected

So you may select several groups and single files. Deselecting works the same way. I've made a video.
In MC it is impossible (or i don't know how)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Please clarify some colouring and options features
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 15:17:12 »
I know the selections is a bit off. But it is like this because of a compromise to be able to get a configuration that is similar (but not exactly) as Windows Explorer.
Both checkboxes for Windows Styled selection must be checked to get the full Windows Explorer styled checking. They will probably be replaced with just one checkbox in the future. because they depend on each other. 

They are two now because for Commander styled setup. You can now check the first, to be able to group (shift+click) selection, (kind of)
(But ctrl+click will not work as expected and so. ) And at the same time keep the same mouse and selection config for commander styled.

To enable "explorer mode" it is best to use the Quick Look''nFeel setup.
( Menu > Quick Look'n'Feel Setup -> Windows Explorer Compatibiliy Look'n'Feel)
Because to get everything to work like as windows explorer, More options need to be changed then the two under "Windows Explorer styled selection", Windows explorer also handled mouse differently.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 17:05:47 »
Thank you for explanations. But i still don't understand the meaning of 'selected' color. Yes, the files are coloured, but how they can be used? 'Selected' is not the same as 'Checked/Marked' because when i try to e.g. copy the group of 'selected' files, only focused file is copied.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 17:44:16 »
It was used for something.. For the component that that shows files, checked and selected is not the same. An item can be selected but not checked..

But I'm not sure if it is used in the file browser anymore. it was used before. But so much has changed so I'm not sure if it is used anymore.

I have an item on my todo list that will use it in the future.. maybe..