Author Topic: Library names  (Read 8724 times)

bignose

• View Profile
Library names
« on: July 13, 2019, 06:25:55 »
Hi,

I have renamed my main libraries from Documents, Music...etc to Documents-SD, Music-SD...etc and moved them to an external SD card. Now, although the device drop down list shows the new names - see Screen Capture 3, the names on the external SD drive shown in the folder tree remain as the original names (except for Videos which is now correctly shown as Videos-SD) - see Screen Capture 1, however. If I right click on say Documents in the documents tree, the properties window shows it as "Documents-SD" see Screen Capture 2. This is the same for all the others. Also, I have created tabs at the bottom of the layout window which direct a locked tab page to the library locations, yet the tabs still show "Documents" as appose to "Documents-SD", except Videos-SD which is correct.

What am I possibly doing wrong ? I have tried refreshing, but it all remains the same.

Any help in solving this would be appreciated.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Library names
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 00:55:05 »
But the folder on the filesystem (disk) is called "Documents"

When you rename special folders/virtual folder in Windows you give them an Display Name. Problem is that on the disk the name is different.
And MC is not built on-top of Windows Shell, MC has as a rule to show the file system as it really looks like. Not to lie to you and show fake / virtual files like Windows Explorer does.
MC shows you how the filesystem really looks like.
The name in the drop down is the Display names, Since often windows will return the name of the Documents/Picture folder with localized names, But the actual folder name on the disk is always Documents/Pictures
and the name MC shows in the File list and tabs are the actual name of the folder from the filesystem. Not from the shell. (Since MC do not go via the Shell layer to show files.)

bignose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 03:14:34 »
Mathias,

Thanks for the clarification, although it doesn't really follow for the Videos-SD folder which is also a special folder and has been moved and named like all the others?

Maybe I'll just name them back to the default names for completeness.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:11:00 »
Mathias,

Thanks for the clarification, although it doesn't really follow for the Videos-SD folder which is also a special folder and has been moved and named like all the others?

Maybe I'll just name them back to the default names for completeness.

Hmm You mean that MC do not go to the correct path when you selected Videos-SD ?  for the special foldes MC ask Windows for their location so it should work if you relocate them to other paths.

bignose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 09:45:14 »
Hi Mathias,

No, what I meant was that although I have, as an example, renamed Documents to Documents-SD and as you pointed out it would only show as Documents-SD on the drop down list but not on the tree list, this does not happen with Videos-SD which shows up on both.

See attached.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 12:56:24 »
And the actual folder that it is relocated to is not named Videos-SD ?

MC shows real folder name. so I guess that when you redirected to another location. the new target folder for videos are named Videos-SD both in the real folder name and its display name for special folder.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:59:19 by Mathias (Author) »