Author Topic: MM Locks Folder  (Read 16709 times)

Tolis

• View Profile
MM Locks Folder
« on: October 21, 2019, 06:16:46 »
according to this it shouldn't http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

but I cannot delete from powershell while a folder is open, I am using portable latest version in admin mode for both processes

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: MM Locks Folder
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 10:38:11 »
The link you provided simply goes to the forum search page...

What is "MM""?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 19:03:13 »
according to this it shouldn't http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

but I cannot delete from powershell while a folder is open, I am using portable latest version in admin mode for both processes

MC do  not lock the folder that it is displaying. If the folder is removed that MC is displaying to will go to the closest path it can.

BUT when you enter a folder it will start some background work in the folder to get icons or thumbnails if you are viewing in that mode.
And if you have extra columns added , some of them will get there data in the background after the content is viewed.
This extra things can cause files not to be delete. and if moved to recyle bin it can prevent that too..
But this things extra things are often completed very shortly after the folder is displayed, and then it should not be a problem.
And often if you get it you just to retry and it work.
It is very hard to trigger it becuase of this things, since none of this things keeps a hold on the file for very long

Rob3rtS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 10:25:03 »
I am getting complaints by git operations, which want to remove folders opened in MC.

rmdir of such a folder opened in MC does not fail, but it does not remove the folder either immediately. The folder gets only deleted as soon as it is not open in MC anymore.

Please see attached screenshot:
When searching for processes, which are locking "D:\Temp\MC_test_dir", MC reports itself :-).