Author Topic: How to get the internal viewer back?  (Read 7088 times)

Wiering

• View Profile
How to get the internal viewer back?
« on: January 14, 2020, 17:40:55 »
The main reason I use MultiCommander is to quickly look at all kinds of files (F1). That always worked great until I just updated it, Now it starts Notepad, which is terrible.

Please, is there a way that I can get the internal viewer back, like it used to be?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: How to get the internal viewer back?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 00:08:52 »
That is not changed.

If you press the view button on the button bar.. it notepad opened ?

Have you changed the default viewer in FileTypeSetup (Menu > Configuration) If you go there the first tab is viewers.  Under default viewer it should say MultiDataViewer.

Wiering

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:45:31 »
Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that it wasn't an actual change.

Yes, it did open notepad from the view button. I tried setting it up in FileTypeSetup, but at Select program source / Internal extension, the dropdown list below was completely empty.

Anyway, I just completely uninstalled the program and then reinstalled it and now it works again, thanks!

steinm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 19:10:41 »
I'm relatively new to Multicommander but used to use Powerdesk for many years, similar features for the demanding file manager.  In Powerdesk I was used to being able to easily view most file types in a viewer panel which I could locate to the right or bottom of the screen.  My experience with the file viewer in Multicommander has been depressing, as I can only view image files.  Other file types such as PDFs, or Word or Excel files show up as gibberish.  I've looked through the documentation on the multi data viewer - which is very limited - and didn't find any clarity on this.  Decided to post here as a reply instead of starting my own post, for the moment.  Thanks, S.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 20:03:52 »
I'm relatively new to Multicommander but used to use Powerdesk for many years, similar features for the demanding file manager.  In Powerdesk I was used to being able to easily view most file types in a viewer panel which I could locate to the right or bottom of the screen.  My experience with the file viewer in Multicommander has been depressing, as I can only view image files.  Other file types such as PDFs, or Word or Excel files show up as gibberish.  I've looked through the documentation on the multi data viewer - which is very limited - and didn't find any clarity on this.  Decided to post here as a reply instead of starting my own post, for the moment.  Thanks, S.
Powerdesk is a commercial product that cost money. MC is free. so compare them is not really fair. PD got a bit of a higher budget to buy code that will render PDF, Word and such,..  code for that is not cheap so that is not in my budget.
But MC offer so you can configure external viewers and you can configure so that PDF should be open with program X and so on.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 20:06:55 »
Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that it wasn't an actual change.

Yes, it did open notepad from the view button. I tried setting it up in FileTypeSetup, but at Select program source / Internal extension, the dropdown list below was completely empty.

Anyway, I just completely uninstalled the program and then reinstalled it and now it works again, thanks!
All user configuration of how file types should be opened is stored in FileTypes.xml ,  so deleting that file would have reverted everything back to default