Author Topic: Make content search way faster?  (Read 6029 times)

bofh

• View Profile
Make content search way faster?
« on: February 13, 2020, 22:23:45 »
Hi,

thanks for providing Multi Commander for free. The feature list is overwhelming.

But is there any chance to make content search much faster?

As a benchmark, I started a full text search for "foobar" in a set of 8711 files, 1.65GiB (FreeCAD-0.18.4.980bf90-WIN-x64-portable.7z unpacked to NVME SSD, but everything is cached im RAM after the first access).

Multi Commander 9.6.1 took 85s for subsequential searches, 100% load on one CPU core from MultiCommander.exe

Speed Commander 12-51 (old) finished in 3s for subsequent searches.

In the first run, MsMpEng.exe added 63s to both. But in subsequent runs, everything runs from RAM and without Defender intervention.

What do you think?

Oliver

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Make content search way faster?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 22:33:57 »
Speed depends on so much, if it is doing text search in binary files or not and so on. How large the files are and so on.
I can search over 100.000 files in a few seconds on my test machine, so not sure what takes time on your

I found a FreeCAD-0.18.4.980bf90-WIN-x64-portable.7z that was 1.7GB unpacked on github..unpacked it..  took me 4s to search it all on a normal spinning drive .
 (but I suspect everything was in memory cache in windows, since the unpack)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 22:41:09 by Mathias (Author) »

bofh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 23:01:22 »
did you search for the string "foobar" in the file contents? It should yield roughly 42 hits.

If you also did a content search and it was so much faster than on my PC, I'd like to investigate the reasons for the *20 difference.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 23:04:12 by bofh »

bofh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 23:14:44 »
attached a screenshot of my settings for the search.

The PC is running a Core i5-8265U.

The search findes 42 files.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 10:39:44 »
I did not keep the files. But did content search for "foobar" and it searched them all.
Are you sure you had the same search parameters for both programs? I don't know what why there is a difference..

However it works, Even if it is a lite slower I can't spend massive amount of time right now on doing tweaking to just speed up something that works.
How often to you really search the content of 1.7GB+ files.
I put it on the list for future task "investigate performance of content search"  But sorry, it is not on top of my list.

bofh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 10:56:35 »
I did not keep the files. But did content search for "foobar" and it searched them all.

so one strange thing is why your search took 4s and mine 85s. My PC is not that slow.

Are you sure you had the same search parameters for both programs? I don't know what why there is a difference..

Both did a full text search over all file types (text and binary).

However it works, Even if it is a lite slower I can't spend massive amount of time right now on doing tweaking to just speed up something that works.

I agree, 4s -> 3s is no reason to even think about it.

But my results were 1/20 of this speed. Maybe I can find the reason some day.