Author Topic: Rename with F2 according to folder sort  (Read 5182 times)

parcher

• View Profile
Rename with F2 according to folder sort
« on: April 09, 2020, 07:54:02 »
When I want to rename files I use Multi Commander's Multirename option. I use this instead of F2 because Multirename will rename the files in the order in which they're sorted in the folder, such as by size, name, date, et cetera.

But I would prefer to use F2 to rename files. Is there a way to get F2 to rename files in the order in which they reside in the folder? Or perhaps someone knows of a script I could use in conjunction with User Defined Commands?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Rename with F2 according to folder sort
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 11:39:12 »
You mean when you MOVE files and you append to the beginning/end of the name ?
It should process them in the order they are listed when you do the move

parcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 23:40:15 »
Thanks. I think the problem I'm having is that since what I input is prepended or appended to the existing filenames it will retain whatever naming scheme was originally used, and so retain the original sort order of the files.

Is there a way to use the F2 function so that what I input will replace existing filenames and add incremental numbers?

So, for example, I can input "ter001" and it will replace the filename "sdg4589"? Instead what it does is produce the filename "ter001sdg4589".

I don't like Multirename and would like to use the F2 function instead, so I'm trying to figure out a way to make it work for me.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 13:18:55 »
If you use MultiRename function you can control the rename much more.

the Rename using Move function is a quick rename, that only support adding to beginning or end of filename