Author Topic: Refres of the leftmost file panel MC 9.7  (Read 5116 times)

igartner

• View Profile
Refres of the leftmost file panel MC 9.7
« on: June 07, 2020, 07:33:54 »
Hi, excuse my new user ignorance, but "refresh" function of the leftmost panel (in one pane or the other) displaying the file hierarchy does not work.
I create a new directory, while MC runs, and that newly created directory does not show up unless I stop and restart MC: I click several times on refresh buttons, go up/down on file hierarchy...later create new directory does not show up. Surely I missed something silly...
Please help....expecting your feedback, friendly yours Igartner

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Refres of the leftmost file panel MC 9.7
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 14:07:30 »
Normally it should be no issue. With the limited information you provide it is hard to say why it is happening for you.
Sometimes windows cache remote filesystem if it is that. but for local drives it should show up directly.
Windows will actually tell MC when a folder that is viewed is changed. and MC will auto refresh it.
and if you force a refresh the filesytem will be scanned.

If new files do not show up even after a force refresh then something is blocking MC from seeing it. Like some security software can do that.
Also if the file/folder has hidden attribute on and if you have not enabled to show hidden/system files it will not be visible.

igartner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 12:22:50 »
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate!!
In fact the new files / folders are created by other programs e.g. installation of new SW. Indeed, folders / files created by MC are visible when created, just the ones created while MC is active but have not created them itself, those do not appear even after refresh.
Thanks for the interesting idea of some security SW that might block MC to refresh the file views. Indeed, I use Avast and that might be rather intrusive: in its "desire to defend my PC " it might go far too far.
I will try deactivating avast and see if MC shows new files / folders created by other programs. Interestingly enough Win-10 file explorer does not have the same pb, which means somehow it is aware of new folders/files created by other programs.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:26:53 by igartner »

igartner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 13:38:20 »
I thought at 1st I could reproduce the pb by starting & stopping Avast virus protection, but after several tries with or without virus protection I must admit MC works fine: newly created folders /files show up in required panes. Thanks for your concern and advice, friendly your IGartner