Author Topic: when a share is closed, mc becomes unresponsive  (Read 6104 times)

Jean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
when a share is closed, mc becomes unresponsive
« on: September 15, 2020, 19:53:54 »
For instance i have a network share to my laptop form the deskop. If i turn off the laptop then on the deskop Mc becomes unresponsive. It was minimized so i tried to maximize it but i got a blank screen and i had to wait a minute or so. There are also variations when it just says 'not responding', but always with either a network share or an ftp tab that has lost connection.
I'd love to see this fixed and have my fav filemanager become more stable.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: when a share is closed, mc becomes unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:07:34 »
MC are not handling the network stuff by it self. it is all handled by Windows, MC only see it as a path to remote drives.
And if network goes away. Windows does can not detect it instantly. And since network CAN be slow. Windows will wait until it gives up.. and MC will hang for a while if the call to windows hangs.
The way network work it can sometimes be impossible to not if the network device is gone or not. Because network can sometimes be slow and have issues

Jean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 13:04:38 »
I understand. But i still have a feeling there's something not quite ok because total commander and dopus both had less issues with this on my machine. This is the one reason i used those other ones because i do prefer mc for several reasons.
I have the same issue with an usb drive, it goes asleep so it takes a bit time to wake up if i access it, but mc sometimes takes a long time, more than is required for the drive to wake up.
If i get impatient on these unresponsive listers and forcibly restart mc, the splash window says 'loading configuration' for awhile.
A month ago i couldn't get mc to start up anymore, it just kept on saying loading configuration. I installed it anew onto another map, and than it worked ok again.
Maybe this is some help? Keep up the great work please.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 13:37:57 »
Sounds very strange. sounds like somethings is halting MC from working. Most things you say an app does not have direct control over, Windows kernal things is handling all that. like wakeing drives.
But it is hard say what can cause it without know the setup and conditions. since there are millions of reasons.

Jean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 18:32:33 »
In the bar with the virtual drive buttons, Mc displays a red cross if a network share is not present, however if i right click on it to try and disconnect it, it shows 'not responding' for a while.
Can't it just disconnect such a drive and remove the icon?
I suspect this is a cause for the general unresponsiveness and long loading times that i sometimes when (re)starting Mc when it tries to load disconnected drives.