Author Topic: "Copy" dialog box does not close after copying  (Read 6913 times)

Mattokun

• View Profile
"Copy" dialog box does not close after copying
« on: September 15, 2020, 22:32:02 »
Hello, I apologize if this has been asked before; if so, please provide link/s.
I am copying a large drive to another one. Several times, after a large directory has been copied completely, the Copy dialog does not close although I have set the "Auto Close". Sometimes it says "Done", but the status bar for the last file is still shown in Blue, making me think that the files is not completely copied. Sometimes it is done but does not show "Done" but instead stays at the "Copying" dialog. In this case, I cannot stop it any more at all, neither "Skip" nor "Abort" work.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? Fixes? Thank you.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: "Copy" dialog box does not close after copying
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:02:28 »
There are two auto close option.. One to do auto close and one to only do it for short/fast operations..  (maybe the second is also checked ?)

I have not seen the other issue. Not sure how that can happen.. Will write a note about it

Mattokun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 15:10:18 »
Thank you, Mathias.
I know the 2 options and have unchecked the one that leaves the window open after long copies.
But the issue is still there, it keeps the progress bar for the last file, and then neither Skip, Pause, or Abort work any more... I cannot close the window any other way than to close The Commander completely.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 16:10:08 »
I have not really seen that.. I can recreate that..
Ssure the copy process is finished. What does the fileoperation log say (Ctrl+L) does it say the file copy is complete.
Sometimes it can look like it is finished because everything is written , but actually it is only written into the Windows cache.. And before the file is closed Windows will flush all data and make sure it is written. and that can take some times in some situations

Mattokun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 16:54:10 »
Thank you again for the reply.
I don't know how to recreate it, other than it happened again multiple times yesterday.
Also, I *think* the copy is done, but it still accesses the target drives because I cannot eject them while those windows are on. Only when I end Commander will the drives be "released" for eject.
Btw, even though those are still open, I can start another Copy and it does not ask me to add the new Copy to the queue, so I guess that it considers its job done.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 10:11:57 »
Thank you again for the reply.
I don't know how to recreate it, other than it happened again multiple times yesterday.
Also, I *think* the copy is done, but it still accesses the target drives because I cannot eject them while those windows are on. Only when I end Commander will the drives be "released" for eject.
Btw, even though those are still open, I can start another Copy and it does not ask me to add the new Copy to the queue, so I guess that it considers its job done.
Look in Fileoperation log (core settings) and see if it is finished. sounds like MC is waiting for Windows to complete the writing
release them? so it is on removable drives ? USB connect HDs ? Flash memory ?

Mattokun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 20:54:22 »
Thank you. I apologize foe being stupid, but there I can only see that I can enable the log... where is the actual file?
Yes, they are all external HDs. I thought as well that maybe it's just Windows not finalizing, but I left some status windows open for several hours and they did not close.