Multi Commander > Feature Requests and Suggestions

Quirky Administrator Mode

(1/3) > >>

GrantSP:
If I have 2 panels open, one showing a directory with only user rights (Folder1) and the other a directory under UAC e.g.(c:\Program Files(x86)\Some folder\) called (Folder2) strange options are provided.

1) If I try to move a file from Folder2 to Folder1 I am asked to enter Admin mode but it fails to provide it.
2) If I try to delete a file the same thing happens.
3) If I copy a file to the opposite panel and then edit it and try to copy it back I am asked for Admin mode and this time it is granted.
4) If I try to Move the file from Folder1 to Folder2 I am asked for Admin mode but again it is not granted.
5) If I right-click the file in Folder2 and select "Cut" and then right-click in Folder1 and select  "Paste" Admin mode is asked for but this time it is granted.

Mathias (Author):
Strange.

If you start MultiCommander as administrator. Can you copy /delete the folder (without it asking for admin mode )
(The admin helper program get the same permissions as MultiCommander run as admin. and if MultiCommander can copy/delete the file then the admin helper should be able to. )

Folder 1 that only have user rights.. is it a normal user or system account ?

I wondering if it can be that the folder has permission for a user, that not even admin has access to until it has taken ownership of the folder.

I have to try to recreate that scenario later.

GrantSP:
Hey Matthias.

I just tried the suggestion you offered and yes all file operations act as they should.

Curiously I had selected in the "Core Settings" the three options under "Run As Administrator Mode". I assumed that meant whenever I started MultiCommander it would be in Admin mode. Apparently not.

I right-clicked on the Start menu selection for the program and selected "Run as Administrator" and I can see now on the title bar [Admin] before the program name, something which is not there when I start it normally.

I previously saw the small red background label with yellow text "Administrator Mode Active" at the bottom of the button bar and assumed that was the only indicator of Admin mode. This label only showed after your MCAdmin utility ran because of the dialog option "Retry as Administrator".

Now I'm wondering since MCAdmin is still active (it shows up as a process and the label is still active) why admin rights are not provided for further file operations?

Mathias (Author):
"Run As Administration Mode" mean that, even if you run as standard users you can do some admin tasks. Then a admin helper process will start and do that.

Kind of Windows Explorer. but with less UAC dialogs for every tasks. Because the MCAdmin (that is the Admin helper process) will stay alive for a while. It will automatically close when MC closes or it has been idle for a bit or if the user right click on the "admin mode active" banner in the status bar and selects to turn it off.

The MCAdmin process that get started get the same permission as if MultiCommander would have if you right clicked on it and selected "Run as administrator".
So if you select "retry as admin" to delete a file, and it fails. Then the question is, Can MultiCommander when started as Administrator delete it. If it can. Then there might be a error in MCAdmin.

When running MultiCommander in standard mode and you retry a operation as administrator and the MCAdmin process get started. It will not automatically retry all other failed operations as administrator unless the options for that in settings has been selected.  ("Automatically retry as administrator if administrator mode is already active")

GrantSP:
Mathias it looks the problem is in the MCAdmin utility then. All functionality is working properly if I start MultiCommander as Admin.

Only when I start as 'User' and then 'Retry as Administrator' when prompted does the quirky behaviour happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version