Author Topic: Font sizes  (Read 6180 times)

Gloops

• View Profile
Font sizes
« on: May 19, 2021, 02:41:23 »
Hello,
You know, I do not see as well as 20 years ago ; and this is the main reason why I use multi-commander. You were very reactive about the font size to display the file names, thank you for that.
Some other areas of the UI would deserve attention on the same aspect.
Maybe the menus (dropdown and contextual) are the most often read. The file size area down the two panels is not obvious as there is rich information compared to the place available for it, so probably increasing the font size on it would require some more work to give it place to display.
I saw a few threads in the forum dedicated to readability, and I must admit I was unable to take profit of them. The drives lists (Alt F1 / Alt F2) loose their font in some badly identified situations I have read somewhere : this induces you can choose a font somewhere. Well sorry, I do not know where. Somewhere you mention the explorer settings, do you mean the Windows Explorer ? Oh, I came as I was pretty sure there was no easy way to modify the font there.
So, perhaps it is a question of documentation, I did not look at the correct place ?
Maybe I could better discover some other aspects of MultiCommander if did not have to spend so much time on opening the Windows lens and closing it again.
For instance, when opening the software you have a nice dialog to display tips, but I can only read that dialog with the Windows lens (the magnifier).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 02:52:48 by Gloops »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Font sizes
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 07:59:05 »
If you see bad then all program on Windows should need to be larger then you really should increase the scaling factor in Windows, This will make all UI elements in all programs larger. And MC respect this settings.

Explorer Settings are in MC.. Menu > Configurations > Explorer Panel Settings and you can change some of the fonts there. But if it is a large change you need then Windows Scaling will do a better job since more then fonts are changed.
It is settings for whats inside the Explorer Panel.  (Tab that show file system)

Gloops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 01:10:03 »
Hello, thank you for your answer.
Of course, the first thing I did when receiving my machine was to increase the Windows standard font size. But I am afraid this is common to the whole system, and any new change that side will destabilize the whole display of the system.
After increasing the standard font size of the system, I had to increase the fonts to display each application. I began by Visual Studio, then the application for xml display needed a new version to solve this problem.
Maybe I have a memory problem, as the fonts settings are grouped, and you already indicated it to me for the files lists.
I should have said I saw only one font size before asking the question, and I see four ones now. But that seems strange, more probably my remembering lacks precision.
Now, I can read the sizes that are written down the tabs, that can be useful.
About the disks lists (Alt F1, Alt F2), are they affected by one of those four font sizes ?
For your information, it seems the texts in French, in the settings, for the labels in front of each font size, are maybe somewhat larger than those you wrote in English, so I only see the beginnings, and I have to guess what comes after that (some drop-down lists have that problem too). As there are only four font sizes, it is not a big problem as I can test all four, until I find the good one.
Do you think there is a possibility to choose the font for the menus ?
Yours faithfully
(I tried to put a screen copy, but it does not appear on the preview ; it is a png picture, it seems it should do it.)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 08:16:04 »
Hello, thank you for your answer.
Of course, the first thing I did when receiving my machine was to increase the Windows standard font size. But I am afraid this is common to the whole system, and any new change that side will destabilize the whole display of the system.
After increasing the standard font size of the system, I had to increase the fonts to display each application. I began by Visual Studio, then the application for xml display needed a new version to solve this problem.
Maybe I have a memory problem, as the fonts settings are grouped, and you already indicated it to me for the files lists.
I should have said I saw only one font size before asking the question, and I see four ones now. But that seems strange, more probably my remembering lacks precision.
Now, I can read the sizes that are written down the tabs, that can be useful.
About the disks lists (Alt F1, Alt F2), are they affected by one of those four font sizes ?
For your information, it seems the texts in French, in the settings, for the labels in front of each font size, are maybe somewhat larger than those you wrote in English, so I only see the beginnings, and I have to guess what comes after that (some drop-down lists have that problem too). As there are only four font sizes, it is not a big problem as I can test all four, until I find the good one.
Do you think there is a possibility to choose the font for the menus ?
Yours faithfully
(I tried to put a screen copy, but it does not appear on the preview ; it is a png picture, it seems it should do it.)

Increase system font is not the best way to go these day. making only the font bigger will not solve everything since all UI components need to be larger.
Best way is to increase all is the Windows Scaling, this is like a zoom of all apps. 

In MC not all fonts can be change. They are also only changed for minor adjustment and style.  Changing the font in size too much and they will be cut-off in some places. Since the UI around it are not changed. 
But if Windows scaling is change then all this UI is also bigger.

The Dropdown font can't be change, It is set to the height of the UI in the place that the component is places. and that height is scaled depending on Windows Scaling settings.

Gloops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 11:52:10 »
The scale is already at 125%. I made an attempt at 150%, but many parts of the screen were not visible.
The drop-down font is readable, but as you say they are cut off at part of the text, as their width is not adapted.
This is the problem that would appear on the whole system with 150% -and some applications would not even have any place on the screen.
In fact there are only two parts that are still written too little : the menus, and the tips window at opening.
It is quite possible that the solution would be to go back to Windows XP, that did not arise all those problems.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 11:53:58 by Gloops »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 08:32:37 »
The scale is already at 125%. I made an attempt at 150%, but many parts of the screen were not visible.
The drop-down font is readable, but as you say they are cut off at part of the text, as their width is not adapted.
This is the problem that would appear on the whole system with 150% -and some applications would not even have any place on the screen.
In fact there are only two parts that are still written too little : the menus, and the tips window at opening.
It is quite possible that the solution would be to go back to Windows XP, that did not arise all those problems.

If some parts are too big when doing 150% that is probably because you changed some sizes before, because all this sizes are scaled +150% too.
A Friend with bad eyesight uses large monitor and 200% scaling. and he does almost no other settings changes in Windows.. some minor font tweaks in some programs. like changing font from 9pt to 12pt.. so minor changes..since all this changes are affected by the scaling too... a font that is 9pt will be drawn as 18pt with 200% scaling active.

Standard menubar is nothing that the program it self can change. It is controlled by windows.