Author Topic: Multi Commander right click crash  (Read 15951 times)

kupo

• View Profile
Multi Commander right click crash
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:55:49 »
System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Version of Multi Commander: v 2 build 996
Possible conflict with S10 Password Vault.
Multi Commander crashes when right clicking a file after auto login with S10 Password Vault.
Reproducible
Steps
1. Go to any website that you have an account.
2. Use auto fill feature (using Ctrl - Alt - L) of S10 Password Vault while it is still locked.
3. Open Multi Commander and right click a file or at a space.
4. Crash happens
Attached is the report built by Multi Commander after the crash.

kupo

• View Profile
Re: Multi Commander right click crash
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 13:33:13 »
I tested it with the release candidate for 2.1 and it seems to be fixed. But maybe you could still check the source of the problem to be sure?
EDIT: Seems to be happening after using auto login a couple of times.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 14:15:37 by kupo »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 16:00:49 »
Strange.
Do not understand how it can conflicts with S10. I have not run S10 my self so I don't know that it does.
But since it happens during right click it, S10 probably installs a shell extensions that is called when showing the context menu.

But nice to hear that it works in the 2.1RC.  But no issue around shell extensions has been changed for 2.1 (I think.. not sure).
But I will take a look at the dump you sent later tonight and see if it give any hints on that can have caused it.

Maybe is still crashes on some files and work some others..  If get the crash again, let me know.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 22:02:16 »
The crash was in the windows shell process of the right click items (Context menu)

Often it is some shell extension that does something bad. But it does not have to be the S10 shell extension it can be some other shell extensions that does something bad and then makes everything crash.

This is the problem with Windows Shell Context Menu. All the Shell Extension need to place safe together. It can be a mess.

kupo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:56:01 »
Any idea how can I solve it? I know it's my system but any suggestions?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:46:59 »
You said the problem was gone in 2.1RC .. It is back ?

You can try to uninstall the S10 shell extension to check if it really is that shell extension that makes it crash.
And if it is. I can see if there is anything I can fix on my side. But there is a risk the problem is in the S10 Shell extension then, there is nothing I can do to fix it.

kupo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 13:32:31 »
Here is another crash dump generated by Multi Commander. I tried it with other file manager and Multi Commander is the only one constantly crashing..

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 13:31:43 »
You sure S10 is the problem ?

I installed it and I don't see that it installs any shell extension. Does it adds any extra options to your right click menu ?

Maybe it is some other shell extension you have installed that makes it break.

According to the crash dump something has corrupted the memory for the shell extensions. so it can really be any of them.

kupo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 14:35:10 »
Pretty sure, only happens when S10 is running. Maybe you can track which one of the context menu is causing the crash? Sorry if I'm asking to much. Will setting the crash dump generated with maximum information help?
EDIT: Maybe I'll try to use Problem Steps Recorder that's built-in in Windows to show the crash? But I can only reproduce the crash in the stable version of Multi Commander, with the latest RC it's still crashing but it's randomly happening (only when S10 is running). I also contacted the author of S10 if it's accessing some sort of shell extension for it's process.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 14:38:14 by kupo »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 14:56:46 »
No Step Recorder will not do anything.

Since S10 does not install any shell extension. (at least not what I can see ) I think it is some other shell extension that come in conflict with S10 stuff.

Since it is memory corruption error something can mess up the memory when A is called.. but the crash will not happen until Z is doing something.
So one might think that the problem is with Z. but it really is A. With other words. I can might not always be the most obvious thing that is the problem.

I think more that it is the SuRunExt.dll  (SuRun ? http://sourceforge.net/projects/surun/ ?? ) shell extension that do something. But I have not been able to do any tests yet.

kupo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 14:59:08 »
I have SuRun installed! If I disabled it will it prevent any crashes?
EDIT: If it is causing the crash. I installed it just to automatically run programs as admin, so I'll disable it until you found out the exact problem. :D Thank you for looking into my report

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 15:16:52 »
I don't know if SuRun is the problem. But it is a shell extension that I see is loaded into the MultiCommander process. And the crash happens in windows shell extension handling. So it is a candidate.

I have not yet done any test with SuRun. But I will see if I get some time over and will check later.

kupo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 15:39:54 »
Hello, I gave up on S10 and back on using Keepass. Just had a random crash again and now with explorer. I had this crash after I installed and start using S10, and now all is good. Again, thank you for looking into this. :D