Author Topic: [FIXED] Right-click "New" menu options  (Read 12564 times)

GrantSP

• View Profile
[FIXED] Right-click "New" menu options
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:32 »
Hello Mathias.

I'm assuming you have coded the 'right-click "New" menu' that is inside MC and are not using the Windows code.
Just curious about your rationale for doing so.

I am given the options to create "Contacts" and "Library Folder" items but doing so creates useless items. ie The "Contacts" file is not opened as a new contact and the "Library Folder" also has no functionality that I can see and the command to create a new "Library" is provided elsewhere on the 'right-click menu'. However I am not able to create the Windows items "Briefcase" or "Compressed (zipped) folder. I have never wanted to create those things but I find it strange to have some Windows items available and not others.
Also unlike explorer, the "New" command is also available when the focus is on a file not just blank space. Perhaps that should be changed?

Further I have found that the new "Rich Text Format" files that are created via MC have an "{" character added to the beginning of the file when viewed via UniversalViewer. If you then 'right-click' and select the command "New" that is immediately under the "Open" command, it is loaded into the default editor and the following extra characters are displayed:
Wordpad: { \ r t f 1 }
OpenOffice/LibreOffice: {#\#r#t#f#1#}###
(minor error I know but still thought you'd like to know)
Additionally the file creation for "OpenOffice/LibreOffice" is not available if the user has that software installed. This is also not a big issue but if the user is to be more conversant with MC it would be good to have all the functionality that explorer provides. No matter how trivial.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:54:34 by GrantSP »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Right-click "New" menu options
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:29:47 »
There is no way to use the "Windows code" for this. It is not exposed. Or was not when it was written.. (Long time ago)

The "New" items are defined in the registry. ("ShellNew" keys under extension names, eg "HKEY_CLASSESS_ROOT\.txt\ShellNew")
It also says there what data should be added to create an empty file of that type. (if there is a "data" value there)
Or it can have a reference to a template file that should be used ("nullfile")

Some of it might have change now. Was years ago since I looked at that.

I might look it over again.. someday.  maybe..  if it rains.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:31:10 by Mathias (Author) »

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:18:17 »
Really! Wow how long ago did you code that? ;D

Please do have a look at it. Quite a number of other file managers have the default windows "New" menu so it shouldn't be that hard.

I guess it is moving into your summer up there in the northern hemisphere and rain might be some time far off? What about some heavy cloud, will that do?

Seriously though Mathias, this is some great work you have done and its all provided at the great price of nothing!

Thank you.

Grant

RayB

• View Profile
Re: Right-click "New" menu options - New Folder not working
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 14:03:36 »
Using V2.1.1 64bit Build 1045

Problem- When I right click on an existing folder New Folder not working - refer to attached image

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Right-click "New" menu options - New Folder not working
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 14:16:06 »
Using V2.1.1 64bit Build 1045

Problem- When I right click on an existing folder New Folder not working - refer to attached image

Ahh I see now. There a problem with new folder when it is selected from the folder tree. If you do it in the list pane it works.

I will put it on the list to fix for next version.

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 02:10:27 »
The version that I am running is 2.1.2 64 Bit Build 1045 and there is no problem with creating folder when the context-menu is called from an existing folder.

Try running the Update utility first and see if it 'corrects' your situation.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 06:56:00 »
It does not work.

But only in the folder tree, The normal view works.

But it will be fixed in next version.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 14:49:22 »
Fixed in Beta Build 1080