Author Topic: Re: Version 12 * BETA *  (Read 5354 times)

Timur Born

• View Profile
Re: Version 12 * BETA *
« on: July 07, 2022, 10:27:36 »
Hello. Thanks for this useful application! Here is what I noticed while running the beta:

- MC does not show the last tab session when folder when it is on a mapped network drive. Instead it defaults to root C:

- A network scan only finds my Synology SMB share when I use method C (shell).

- "Auto" focus on startup always seem to default to the right panel, even when the left panel was active in the last session.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:47:59 by Timur Born »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Re: Version 12 * BETA *
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 14:41:00 »
Hello. Thanks for this useful application! Here is what I noticed while running the beta:

- MC does not show the last tab session when folder when it is on a mapped network drive. Instead it defaults to root C:

- A network scan only finds my Synology SMB share when I use method C (shell).

- "Auto" focus on startup always seem to default to the right panel, even when the left panel was active in the last session.

None of this are related new things in the beta. so moving topic

That is a settings. Explorer Panel settings. Look at "save on exit" section, there is a option if network devices should be rememberd

Windows Network stuff are a mess.. MC have very little contorol. there 3 methods and you can switch between them

The focus at startup works for me.. Maybe fails becuase of issue 1..

Timur Born

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 17:45:29 »
Thanks for the quick reply and moving to the proper section.

That is a settings. Explorer Panel settings. Look at "save on exit" section, there is a option if network devices should be rememberd
Turns out that the option works the other way around. By default it is set to "remember only path to local harddrive". I turned that off now.

Windows Network stuff are a mess.. MC have very little contorol. there 3 methods and you can switch between them
I get that and found a working setting after trying out all three of them. But it is noteworthy that other file-managers manage to display Windows network devices using default settings (usually not configurable anyway). And compared to MC they display and work with *all* my network devices, not just the SMB share.

Personally I don't need this often (if at all), because I can either use mapped drives or enter the IP directly. But it may be something to look into again?

I tried with local and with network devices, different folders and same folders, exiting MC with the left or the right panel in focus. MC always defaults to the right panel when I open it using the "Auto" option. I don't know what "Auto" bases its decision on, though. For the time being I will use "Left", because I am more used to defaulting to the left panel.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 18:00:56 »
Thanks for the quick reply and moving to the proper section.

Turns out that the option works the other way around. By default it is set to "remember only path to local harddrive". I turned that off now.

I get that and found a working setting after trying out all three of them. But it is noteworthy that other file-managers manage to display Windows network devices using default settings (usually not configurable anyway). And compared to MC they display and work with *all* my network devices, not just the SMB share.

Personally I don't need this often (if at all), because I can either use mapped drives or enter the IP directly. But it may be something to look into again?

I tried with local and with network devices, different folders and same folders, exiting MC with the left or the right panel in focus. MC always defaults to the right panel when I open it using the "Auto" option. I don't know what "Auto" bases its decision on, though. For the time being I will use "Left", because I am more used to defaulting to the left panel.

Since MC is not build on top of Windows Shell, MC filter out network items that are not file shares.

Auto is the tab side that was in focus when application exited last time.

Timur Born

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 18:07:31 »
Since MC is not build on top of Windows Shell, MC filter out network items that are not file shares.
Makes sense. The other file-managers open the browser for web-access to the network devices, which can be useful. But filtering for SMB shares likely is closer to what a file-manager is meant to do.

I even tried File -> Exit (popup asking for confirmation) instead of using the upper right X button, same results, keeps default to right panel. Additionally I tried to limit MC to a single instance and disabled StartAllBack (which modifies the taskbar and Explorer), no dice.

Is there any more setting that I might check for this? I can live with using the "Left" setting, but to me this looks like a bug.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 18:31:30 »
Makes sense. The other file-managers open the browser for web-access to the network devices, which can be useful. But filtering for SMB shares likely is closer to what a file-manager is meant to do.

I even tried File -> Exit (popup asking for confirmation) instead of using the upper right X button, same results, keeps default to right panel. Additionally I tried to limit MC to a single instance and disabled StartAllBack (which modifies the taskbar and Explorer), no dice.

Is there any more setting that I might check for this? I can live with using the "Left" setting, but to me this looks like a bug.

If you start with a TabSession that autoloads it can have configuration for what tab to activate and will override any other setting.

Timur Born

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 18:46:16 »
My settings default to loading the last used tab session. But even when I change it to "do not autoload any tab session" the startup focus stays on the right panel.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 21:02:57 »
My settings default to loading the last used tab session. But even when I change it to "do not autoload any tab session" the startup focus stays on the right panel.

Then I don't know. It should work.  I can't make it not work.

What tabs to autoload is stored here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MultiCommander\SessionHistory\a4c2985d9c7e4035a3221cfd600171d0\AutoLoad\

only one of them should have FOCUS=1, and that tab should be set to focus.. Unless you have something else like session that overrides that or from command line

Timur Born

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 21:28:34 »
I deleted the registry key and had MC create a new one. Did not help. What I see is that the focus=1 values moves correctly between panel 0 and 1 depending on how I close MC. But regardless of where the registry value is currently stored, MC still defaults to the right panel on startup, so the registry entry seems to be ignored.

PS: When I close all tabs on the right panel then MC defaults to the left panel at startup, even when I had the empty right panel active. But as soon as I create a new tab on the right panel it reverts to activate the right panel on startup.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 21:33:24 by Timur Born »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 22:28:53 »
I deleted the registry key and had MC create a new one. Did not help. What I see is that the focus=1 values moves correctly between panel 0 and 1 depending on how I close MC. But regardless of where the registry value is currently stored, MC still defaults to the right panel on startup, so the registry entry seems to be ignored.

PS: When I close all tabs on the right panel then MC defaults to the left panel at startup, even when I had the empty right panel active. But as soon as I create a new tab on the right panel it reverts to activate the right panel on startup.
Then I don't know. I can't recreate that

Timur Born

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 22:55:11 »
I will set it to "Left" then and be happy with it. Maybe some conflict with Windows 11?