Author Topic: Files are selected when using Drag&Drop  (Read 3704 times)

magmalive

• View Profile
Files are selected when using Drag&Drop
« on: October 21, 2023, 21:58:52 »
Hello, maybe someone can help me.

Fresh Installation 13.1,
"Configuration->Explorer Panel Settings->Mouse Configurations->Left mouse button->Click and hold = No Action".
Also tested whith all mouse buttons set to "No Action" in configuration.
No Special Mouse Hardware/Driver/Settings.

Now whenever i drag an unselected single file with "Left Click and hold" to another Explorer Panel (or external program)
the dragged file is left marked as "selected". So i have to deselect it first before i could drag&drop the next single file.

Intended behaviour or bug? Maybe i missed another configuration setting?

There is "Configuration->Explorer Panel Settings->Display->Selection and Checking of items->Unselect files
and folders when Copy Operation start", but it only works when starting copy/move with F5,F6.
Is this behaviour possible when dragging with the mouse?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Files are selected when using Drag&Drop
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 18:54:52 »
not sure what you want.

so don't want files to be selected when you drag them ?

magmalive

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 19:46:45 »
Sorry, maybe i have not give a good description of my problem, but English is not my native language.

Example: I have a folder with files shown in Multi Commander, now i want to left click and hold (Drag&Drop)
a single file to an external program. Drag&Drop works, but now the dragged file is "marked/selected" in
Multi Commander. When i then want to left click and hold (Drag&Drop) the next file it "delivers" 2 files,
the clicked one and the first one. After that the second file is also marked/selected and so on.

So i have to constantly deselect a dragged file in Multi Commander. And as it is always a single file a
marking/selection is not needed.

So i don't want a file marked/selected (for future operations in Multi Commander) after Drag&Drop a file outside of Multi Commander.

leftryght

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 05:34:01 »
Configuration - Explorer Panel Settings - Display - Selection and Checking of items,check "Unselect files and folders when Copy Operation start".

magmalive

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 07:47:06 »

This setting works only when you work with the file in MC (F5,F6 or drag a file within MC),
it does not work when dragging a file OUTSIDE of MC to an external program.

For that reason i wrote that i have
"Configuration->Explorer Panel Settings->Mouse Configurations->Left mouse button->Click and hold = No Action".
If i had set this to "Toogle Selection", then i would understand this behaviour, but MC marks the file also
when set to "No Action" as soon as you leave the Explorer Panel with the mouse.

leftryght

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 16:10:00 »
 Sorry,I typed the wrong option. You should check “Configuration - Explorer Panel Settings - Display - Selection and Checking of items - Unselect other files and folders when single selecting”
 I tested dragging some files one by one from MC to Window Explorer (Win10x64) and it works for me.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 18:04:37 »
Sorry,I typed the wrong option. You should check “Configuration - Explorer Panel Settings - Display - Selection and Checking of items - Unselect other files and folders when single selecting”

And now it is impossible to select multiple files. What magmalive (and me too) would like to see is clearing selection after drag'n'drop.

magmalive

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 20:40:37 »

Exactly  :)

leftryght

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 03:05:49 »

And now it is impossible to select multiple files. What magmalive (and me too) would like to see is clearing selection after drag'n'drop.
Once checked, Can‘t mark multiple files by spacebar. But you can use ctrl and shift with spacebar to select multiple files.
Personally, I'm used to using the right mouse button to multiselect.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 03:07:55 by leftryght »

magmalive

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 10:45:32 »

I appreciate your help.

But now i have to press a key combination instead of a simple <INSERT>.
I'm using <INSERT> since 30 years in file commanders, never used the mouse for selection,
only for actions which you couldn't do with the keyboard, like Drag&Drop to external programs.

And it is not logical for me to let the file(s) selected after dragging. When you select file(s) you want
to do an action with them, like copy. After copying the files you expect them to not be selected anymore.
(I know that some tools have an option to let files selected after some actions. Useful, but only when you want
do multiple actions with the selected files.)

The same goes with Drag&Drop, if i select file(s) to do the "action" Drag&Drop, i expect them to be unselected,
because the "action" is done after draggin them.