Author Topic: [Blog Post] - An Early Look - List Mode  (Read 46948 times)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
[Blog Post] - An Early Look - List Mode
« on: April 28, 2012, 13:45:22 »
Blog Post - An Early Look - List Mode

Comments for the blog post should be posted here in the forum topic
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 13:49:56 by Mathias (Author) »

Void

• View Profile
Re: [Blog Post] - An Early Look - List Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 16:33:25 »
oh boy oh boooy oh boooy!!! awesooomeee! and finally the left-right arrows will also make sense in navigation! Awesooome!! when when wheeen? :D :D :D Thank you summer santa!!!

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 20:27:34 »
Great!
I hope there will be configurable way to see file extension.
Personally i like to see file name + extension aligned to the right of the column (see pic). It can be truncated name (like on your screenshots) + extension or MIN(longest_file_name_width, explorer_panel_width) + extension. Of course I have nothing against extension right after name.

E.g.

1:
Code: [Select]
file_name1          ext1
long_fi...          ext2
fname3             ext04

2:
longest_file_name _or_max_panel_width       ext1
file_name2                                  ext2
fname3                                 extension

3:
long_file_name.ext
file_name2.ext2
fname3.extension
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 20:30:04 by Jungle »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:39:32 »
Good point Jungle about having the extension be right aligned in the same column.

I will keep your suggestion in mind when going forward with this.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 16:00:29 »
Something like this

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 16:21:12 »
Wonderful!

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 02:35:45 »
Hello Mathias.

A nice idea to improve MC.

If I can put forward my thoughts?
The 'Heading Bar' at the top of the list display with the options for "Name","Ext","Size" and "Date" is counter-intuitive to the format of display we are expecting in a list display.
That is to say if I select 'List' and my files are then arranged in columns displaying my files by "Name"(like your screenshot) then the 'Heading Bar' should not look like it is Heading columns for undisplayed information such as "Size" or "Date". Rather the 'Heading Bar' should be removed and the options to change the style of sorting the files should come from a small dropdown box, like the Drive box or maybe an option in the right-click menu, personally I prefer the right-click option.

Also I totally agree with Jungle about the options with the extensions being configurable. Show them, don't show them, right-aligned, natural, the more ways there are to display files then MultCommander is living up to its name.

I can't wait to see what results you bring.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:29:35 »
If I can put forward my thoughts?
The 'Heading Bar' at the top of the list display with the options for "Name","Ext","Size" and "Date" is counter-intuitive to the format of display we are expecting in a list display.
That is to say if I select 'List' and my files are then arranged in columns displaying my files by "Name"(like your screenshot) then the 'Heading Bar' should not look like it is Heading columns for undisplayed information such as "Size" or "Date". Rather the 'Heading Bar' should be removed and the options to change the style of sorting the files should come from a small dropdown box, like the Drive box or maybe an option in the right-click menu, personally I prefer the right-click option.

I know it looks strange. But it is there for two reason. For sorting as you said, And changing it to a dropdown is not really possible. There is no good place to place that. The header is also used to change the width of the filename column. dragging and making it small and you will be able to see more column but some files might get "..." at the ends.

I might change the draw style of the headers that are not shown a bit. So it is more clear that they are not used for display

I might also add an option so it is possible to hide the header, because it is possible to change sorting with shortcuts

Void

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 16:43:32 »
Looking forward to this one! More files in the same screen space is highly welcome!

Kietna Qu'Tak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:21 »
Hello. I'm new to Multi Commander and as far as I'm reading the forum I've found out that List Mode is quite new feature. I have just noticed that this view is not using settings Autosize columns from Configuration => Explorer Panel settings... => Display => Sorting and Columns. It's working only in Details view. Is there any chance that name column will be automatically adjusted to the average width of file/folder names in current directory? Currently when I adjust column width with double click on the column border in header it's width adjust automatically to the longest name. When I move to the different folder column width is the same as for previous folder and is not adjusted. If this is something that will be prepared in feature updates then I will suggest to add option to cut names that are much longer than average length of names in current folder. Best regards, KQT ;-)
>>>d(^_^)b<<<

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 13:50:28 »
AutoSize Columns is not used in List mode at the moment.

I had it there in a beta but removed it because it resulted in some strange and jerky UI. But I got it on my list and it might be fixed in the future.

Kietna Qu'Tak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 17:33:59 »
I understand that. Can't wait for features updates to see how You will surprise users ;-)
>>>d(^_^)b<<<