Author Topic: Pasting clipboard data into Multi Commander  (Read 34786 times)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Pasting clipboard data into Multi Commander
« on: July 21, 2012, 14:01:44 »
One of the lesser known features of Multi Commander is the extra handling of clipboard data when pasting it into Multi Commander.

Multi Commander can save text and image data from the clipboard to a file.

If the data in your clipboard is text that you copied from another program and you press Ctrl+V (Or Menu > Edit > Paste ) while the
focus in Multi Commander is in a Explorer Panel. Then you will be shown a windows where you can save the text content from the clipboard to a file.

The same will happen if the clipboard data is a image. (For example if you pressed print screen to take a screenshot)
And for images you will have the option to select what image format you want to save it as. jpg, png or bmp

Their is also some special handling done for text data. If the text data in your clipboard look like file path.
Then instead of just asking you to saving the text to a file it will change the current location to that path you have in your clipboard data.
If the path in the clipboard has a file specified then that file will also be set to focus.

exosceleton

• View Profile
Re: Pasting clipboard data into Multi Commander
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 00:25:46 »
nice!
i'll probably forget to use it though, as it is such a unique feature.

midros

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 21:09:45 »
I agree. this feature is great and I use it all the time. You can also drag and drop a picture into MC, but in that case it is saved in bmp format by default  and that can not be changed. Don't you think that jpg is more preferable ?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 21:52:20 »
I agree. this feature is great and I use it all the time. You can also drag and drop a picture into MC, but in that case it is saved in bmp format by default  and that can not be changed. Don't you think that jpg is more preferable ?
When you drag'n'drop a pictures it comes to MC as a file and not as pure picture (BITMAP) data. So it would not be good idea to start converting it. Then all .bmp files you copied would be converted.

midros

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:03 »

[/quote]
When you drag'n'drop a pictures it comes to MC as a file and not as pure picture (BITMAP) data. So it would not be good idea to start converting it. Then all .bmp files you copied would be converted.
[/quote]

I see what you mean but then maybe you could have the option to convert it, like you have when you copy/paste it.

anyway this is not a big deal but
1. what is the difference when you copy/paste something from the clipboard?
and
2. what is the difference with win explorer?

when I drag & drop the same picture into a window of win explorer it is saved as jpg with size 14 kB and if I drop it into MC it is saved as bmp of 200 kB size.