Author Topic: <dir> in the extension column  (Read 8640 times)

avantuser1114

• View Profile
<dir> in the extension column
« on: November 13, 2012, 02:22:08 »
i know the common practice is putting <dir> on the sizes column..but maybe it's also acceptable to put it in the extension column, the sizes column is for sizes and the extension column gives you an idea of what type of file is in a specific row..if it's a folder then showing that it's a directory will do the same..I'm only asking for an additional option to do this..not making it the only option..maybe most users still prefer having the <dir> in the sizes column...

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: <dir> in the extension column
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:12:32 »
There is a reason for this.
The Filename column can overflow the next column if it is empty. If the folder name is longer then can be shown in the name column and the next column is empty then it will also use that column space for the name.
Showing <Dir> in the Ext column would not allow that, Since now the Ext column is not empty anymore.

avantuser1114

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:26:59 »
but the same thing goes with the file..the ext column is occupied so if a file name is long..there won't be any overflow..there's no difference with folders...

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:42:59 »
It is a big difference. You do not have file extensions on folders at all. So that space will always be used for the name.
For file it can be turned off. you can choose to show the file extension in the name column. then the Ext column will be empty. (You can still sort on it.)
and the name column will overflow into the ext col.

avantuser1114

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:09:03 »
yeah..folders don't have extensions and what i'm asking is just an option to put the <dir> in the extension columns instead of putting it in the sizes column, so there's an option to display it in the sizes column and another choice to display it in the ext column, you just choose between the two...talking about overflow, it won't hurt if a folder's name can't overflow to ext column(personally, i don't want them overflowing, just personally though), just like it won't hurt if a file's name can't overflow to ext column because it is occupied..